Colt 1911 Defender in 45 input

Longshot4

I'm considering the purchase of a Colt Defender in 45. I like the size for carrying. Although I have concerns in getting a wallop when firing. Also accuracy for that size of auto. Is there any one that is fermilure with the Defender to give some input?

RickB

Though not Defenders, I have thousands of rounds through compact .45s (Star PD, Detonics Combat Master), and I wouldn't be too concerned about recoil, unless you have arthritis or some other condition that would make you especially recoil sensitive.
Because the slide is very light, there's not much muzzle flip, but because the gun is light, there's a good, rearward push, sharper than for a heavier gun.

Practical accuracy is hurt by the short sight radius, and most factory guns have lousy sights, so you might want to choose replacement sights that allow you to better use the accuracy that is there.
Of course, there's the argument that such guns are not made for pinpoint accuracy, so no reason to expect to hit anything out past 20-25 yards.

I carry and shoot a Para-Ordnance Slim Hawg, which is even smaller than a Defender, and a touch lighter. Same 3-inch slide and barrel, alloy receiver, but the grip is a quarter to three-eights of an inch shorter than a Defender and it holds one less round. I don't have any problems shooting it with standard-power .45 ACP ammunition (I haven't tried it with +P, and I won't). Accuracy out to 25 feet, for me, runs around 2" to 2-1/2". Not bullseye precision, but plenty adequate for the nearest thing we're likely to see to a pocket pistol in a .45 caliber 1911.

Recoil is manageable. With the slightly longer grip of a Defender it would be even more so.

smee78

I had a Springfield stainless V-10 ultra compact, while it was a nice gun it was heavy and was a bit snappy due to the strong recoil spring. The compact guns can be a bit picky about changing out the spring every so many rounds. I found I would reach for my commander sized gun (aluminium frame) over my Springfield most times so I made the decision to sell it and havent really missed it. The main thing i noticed was when putting the commmander next to the ultra compacts it really is not much of a size saving. Good luck with your decision.

drunder40

I have only had the Defender in 9mm but I can say after 2600ish rounds only one issue (Bad primer - Not the guns fault).

It was my EDC.. A bit heavy but not too hard to conceal.. and it shot nice and smooth.

I can't see the .45 version being much different.. a bit more recoil for sure but still.. a very nice shooting gun..

SecurityGeek

I have one in .45 ACP. Recoil is relatively mild. To me, it seems similar to my Lightweight Commander. I did ditch the stock finger-grooved rubber grips in favor of some Pachmayr wrap-around grips (I prefer a grooved or textured front strap). The Pachmayr grips are a bit harder than the stock Hogues and don't seem to hang up on my shirt like the Hogues did.

My Defender has been very reliable. I only had two stoppages, and they were in the first 50 or so rounds. Once I broke it in, it's been very reliable.

dajowi

I've had a number of Colt .45 autos. The Defender was the one I liked least to shoot. I've got a 3" stainless Kimber which shoots rings around any of the Colts and is more comfortable to shoot.

cw308

Longshot
I have the Colt New Agent in 45acp , same as the Defender only the Agent has trench sights but other then that its the same gun. I love shooting the gun , the double recoil spring assembly removes most of the recoil . I shoot only 230 grain hard ball jacketed ammo . the 3" shoots just as accurate as a 5". Can't go wrong with the Defender, you would be surprised how light the recoil is in the 3" auto. Very nice piece , I use to carry a S&W 2" 38 SPL.Chief once I bought the NA the chief is home 98% of the time. Get a good holster for a good firearms. You won't be disappointed. The older New Agents & Defenders had problems with defective recoil assembles after 2012 the problem was corrected .

Last edited:

Snuffy308

Have a defender in acp. Want to really like this gun. After all, it's a Colt. But like a lot of 3" 1911s it has proven to be a little finicky. Lots of fun to shoot when a ftf does not rear it's ugly head. Also have a new agent in 9mm and it's been great. If you get one be prepared to break it in substantially to prove it's reliability. Then it will probably be time to replace the rsa:rolleyes: Or you can save yourself some headaches and get a 3 incher with a ramped barrel. (Hint hint K word:eek::eek:)

Vic1951

I have owned the Colt Defender in both .45 (twice) and in 9mm. It was not very reliable in 9mm and Colt 9mm magazines are known to be some of the worse out there. It was not 100% reliable in .45, but much better than the 9mm version. I really never gave it a chance to break in or use other brand magazines. I love the soft rubber grips and feel of the gun. Never had modern rubber grips snag on me but lots of people who never carried a gun with those type of grips think it snags due to very old info about the rubber grips of yesteryear which were very tacky. I have new rubber Hogue grips on most of my guns. Never snagged in pocket of IWB/OWB over the last 7 years.

I sold mine even though it was one of my favorites because I have nerve damage in my hand and I could not get through two mags of practice ammo before my hands were too sore to shoot anymore. I could not even grip the gun tight enough to feel safe. I still love the gun though and if you can handle the recoil, go for it. If I was 15 years younger I would buy another one. For now I use a full sized Colt .45 and a Springfield Range Officer Champion in 9mm with no problem. In general the officer sized 1911's are not as reliable as the commander sized. I found that since the barrel in down my pants, a commander sized gun hides just as well as an officer sized one and is cheaper and more reliable.

tipoc

I've had a Defender for maybe 8 years now. Of the small breed of 1911s it has the reputation of being one of the best and possibly the best when it comes to reliability.

The recoil in 45 acp is manageable unless you have a medical condition.

The gun is accurate for it's job.

Below is at 8 yards, 180 gr. ball, about 1 round per second.

Some advice: avoid small 1911s unless you are familiar with 1911s. Stick with the Commander or GM.

If you get the chance shoot one before you buy.

In general this is a very reliable piece and if you want a subcompact 1911 in 45 acp this is the best to get.

tipoc

tipoc

Here's the ramp and barrel of the Defender. Neither 45 nor 9mm need fully ramped barrels in the Defender or any other 1911.

Note the dimple in the barrel throat. An innovation by Colt. Eats everything. At least in this gun in my hands.

tipoc

Sgt Pepper

I had a Colt New Agent and my experience mirrors post #8. Recoil is no big deal. I also had a Colt Officer's ACP, and it was easy to shoot. Both were very accurate with fairly quick follow up shots.

shootbrownelk

I tried a buddy's Defender in .45 and I didn't like it recoil wise. I'll stick to my Springfield EMP in 9mm. Much better gun as far as micro 1911's go, IMO.

shootbrownelk said:
I tried a buddy's Defender in .45 and I didn't like it recoil wise. I'll stick to my Springfield EMP in 9mm. Much better gun as far as micro 1911's go, IMO.
How is the 9mm EMP "better" than a Defender in .45 Auto? I understand that the EMP may be more to your personal liking, but that doesn't make it "better." Please explain.

agtman

Let's just say "Ditto" on what was said in posts #8 & #14. :cool:

I too have a Colt N.A. (post-2013), essentially a blue 'Defender' with a Trench (or Gutter) sight. It runs flawlessly and is quite accurate once you've invested some trigger-time at the range to become comfortable with this atypical sight-system.

As with any 3" 1911, however, you'll need to keep an eye on the recoil spring assembly. Upgrade springs frequently if you run your gun hard.

Snuffy308

Para? Ah, no. As far as the defender I do like the pistol. Would never get rid of it. After all, it has the 100 anniversary thingy on the slide:D. But as for being the most reliable 3 inch 1911, it ain't. Would never trust carrying it. Have a Kimber ultra CDP that blows the defender away. In almost every category. As far as features, shootability, accuracy, fit and finish, trigger, there's no comparison. But that comes at about a $400 premium over the defender. But it's ready to go out of the box. I immediately had to change the cursed rat tail gs on the defender from the get go. But the new ones come with the nice beavertail.

bricz75

Here's the ramp and barrel of the Defender. Neither 45 nor 9mm need fully ramped barrels in the Defender or any other 1911.

I've noticed ramped barrels typically come with shorter barreled 1911s. What is the purpose of them? If done correctly, is the traditional ramp and barrel better for 1911s?