Colt 1911 assembly problem

topspin43

My first field strip to oil prior to first firing. Struggling to get the slide stop back into position and into the weapon... stck halfway in... any suggestions?

BillCA

I didn't follow the link, however I'll pass along a tip for reassembly for 1911 owners who are still new at it.

When reassembling your 1911, place a piece of scotch tape or masking tape below the area where the slide stop swings up and above on the slide where it might move if it doesn't seat. This will prevent you from scratching the frame or slide when trying to insert the slide stop.

Many 1911's have what some people call the "idiot scratch" or "assembly scratch" on the frame just below the rear of the slide stop. Tape helps a great deal to reduce the likihood of mung'ing up the finish.

BigSlick

Good tip Bill,

But on every 1911 style pistol I have owned in the last 20 years, I do the same thing to prevent/stop making the idiot scratch.

I take a dremel or small extremely fine file and just take the sharp point off the slide stop lever where it lines up with the notch.

I take reassembly a little slower than some at that point too, but rounding the tip ever so slightly will prevent a scratch. Were talking maybe .0001-.0002, just enough to take the sharpness of the point off

BigSlick

GodblessAmerica

Bill,
Thanks for the tip on the idiot scratch. As of Wednesday I'm back in the 1911 type camp with a new Springfield loaded, and have been trying to think of a way to avoid messing it's new finish up. I've probably looked at 50-60 1911s in the past three months and all but four used ones had the scratch!

BillCA

Here's another tip...

Keep a credit card handy to push down the plunger for the slide stop. If it gets caught, a credit card corner will often be enough to ease the stop past.

gc70

Scratch Prevention

I have found a good way to prevent a scratch when installing the slide stop. Hold the gun as shown in the drawing; the left hand's thumb keeps the slide stop from scratching the frame, the right hand's thumb keeps it from scratching the slide, and the joint of the right hand's thumb presses the slide stop into place. I usually hold the top of the slide tightly against my stomach for maximum stability.

NoIdiotScratch.jpg