Colt 1911 38 Super Model O4540XSEE

amazon shooter

I need some advice from some old hands.

I plan to buy one new and have it shipped to me in a third world country where I live.

When it arrives, I want to enjoy shooting it without problems.

Is it without problems "out of the box" or is it better to have a gunsmith do a "reliability package" to assure it works flawlessly before it is sent to me?

RickB

There's no way to know, in advance, if it will run perfectly, unfortunately. I bought a new Colt Super, four years ago, and the extractor had way too much tension on it. I could tell, just by hand-cycling rounds through it, that it would never feed reliably like that. A little tweak of the extractor, and some break-in mileage, and the gun has been flawless, since. It was a five-minute fix, but if you aren't inclined to do that sort of trouble-shooting and fixing yourself?

amazon shooter

Thanks for your reply.

Since I live at the end of the tunnel where the light flickers on and off, I have no choice but to solve the problem myself or go through mountains of paperwork and months of time to have the problem corrected in the USA.

Where does a guy start to overcome some of the simpler reliability problems one may encounter with a Colt 1911?

Hammerhead

My Colt .38 was reliable right out of the box. You might look into getting some spare parts (springs, extractor, etc..) A good repair manual for 1911's might be prudent.