Colt 1909 Date of Manufacture

Lurch37

I need some help finding the DOM of a Colt 1909 I picked up the other day. I've looked on proof house and had no luck there. Thanks!

The serial number is 42XXX, but I wanna know where you found the info at , if you do find it.

Last edited:

Dfariswheel

The Colt 1909 is a Colt New Service, made for the government as a stop-gap service pistol until the 1911 could be perfected.
It was made for the Army, Navy, and a FEW for the Marines.

These revolvers were numbered on the butt with US serial numbers, and Colt added New Service range numbers on the frame under the barrel, on the crane, and inside the side plate.

"Assuming" Number 42XXX is the FRAME number NOT the GI number on the butt, it was made in 1911.
The numbers that year ran from 29800 to around 54499.

The info comes from the official Colt factory records as published in R.L. Wilson's book, "Colt: An American Legend".
In the back are official Colt serial number records for all Colt firearms up through 1985.
The same numbers are in the web site, but it only goes to 1979.
As above, the 1909 numbers are lumped in with the New Service, as is the Colt Model 1917.

Lurch37

And to think I have that book...I didn't think to look there obviously, although I am now and found the pages you are referring to.

Thanks Dfaris... :D

As for the numbers, that 42XXX is on the crane, under the crane on the frame, on the inside of the grips, on the cylinder release, and finally, on the grip butt.

I don't believe there is a Colt 1909.

Bill, from what I have gathered from here and there, the Model 1909 is very similar to the Model 1917, the only difference being the 1909 fires a catridge similar to the .45 Long Colt, and the 1917 fires the .45acp.

Thanks again!