Colt 1903 .32 questions

sarge83

I ran across a Colt 1903 hammerless in .32 ACP at a local pawn/gun the other day. It had some pitting issues and thus had been refinished to a dark blue, almost black. Asking price was $459 but the shop manager said he would make me a nice deal if I was interested.

Any thing in particular to look for with this model other than checking the barrel and making sure it is working mechanically?

$459 or less a fair price?

Thanks!

Winchester_73

Over 500k made, so its a common gun. I think $459 is too much given the refinish. You would have trouble getting your money back and while you may not care now, who knows what could happen in a year or 2, so I like to mentally cross that bridge before a purchase.

Things to look out for? Well check the bore, it could have been used with corrosive ammo. Also, make sure the grips are authentic colt for that kind of money. More important yet is the magazine. It should be makred "COLT 32 AUTO". If thats missing, occasionally the repro mags don't work as well as a factory mag. Factory mags are well over $100 and I saw some clean ones sell for $250 on gunbroker.

I think it would be a good gun for $300 BUT they are in demand, and the value of original specimens is not falling any. My advice is to hold out for an original piece. Sometimes spending more is cheaper in the end when the item has a higher value right off the bat. If you are interested, PM me and I will try to find you the good clean original one I was watching on gunbroker for $550. While its more money than $459, you can always get your money back when they're nice. They are one of the better 32 auto designs of all time and were a popular favorite when made. Despite being more expensive than the 32 auto offerings of Remington, Savage, H&R, (even S&W made one for a lil time) they also outsold them handedly which tells you something.

DarthPete

I purchased a 1903 type III from a dealer I trust implicitly for $325. It shot and functioned fine, very little pitting. I'd wanted one of these for a reasonable price for a lonnnnng time, so given that I'm not selling it, I went ahead and reblued it and replaced all the springs. In spite of the excellent condition of the metal the finish left a lot to be desired.

$459 is high IMHO, and generally rebluing implies the old bluing was in poor condition. I guess it depends on what the pawn shop owner thinks a great deal would be. Keeping that in mind, they are fantastic, fantastic pistols. I love mine and carry it on occasion.

As was stated, ensure it's an original mag, ask if he has any history on it; ie did the last owner shoot it often, any replaced parts, etc. Bring a flash light and give the barrel specifically and internals a good solid look.

And remember, no harm in passing on this one and keeping up the hunt for another.

Sid

Some years back I bought a 1st Model of one of these pistols and have never regretted it. The bore was slightly pitted but it did not affect accuracy in the least. I have shot endless thousands of handloads through mine without any trouble. As someone else pointed out, make sure it comes with an original magazine. The replacement magazines I have tried did not work and I am still shooting it with the original magazine.

Although half a million of these guns were produced they have risen in price over the last couple of years because of increased demand.

Frasier

Keep in mind, most evil pawn shops try to sell guns at an inflated rate-I've seen used guns at a pawn shop with a hefty price tag, more than a brand new one, so try haggling first.

sarge83

Hey guys thanks for the info. I may offer 300 but not anymore. I will only offer that upon further inspection with the info. you akk provided. This is the first 1903 I have seen in these parts in a while, although I do have a lead on a possible specimen. Again I appreciate your help.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Just FWIW, Colt didn't put "COLT/.32 AUTO" on the .32 Pocket Hammerless magazines until the .380 version came out in 1908. So on an early gun, an unmarked two-tone magazine could be original.

Contrary to what has been written, the magazines and guns are not identical. The .380 pistol has a larger magzine and magazine well and the .380 magazine will not fit the .32 pistol. Conversely, .380 cartridges fit too tightly in a .32 magainze to feed reliably.

Jim