Colt 1860 Army

jakester

Found a pair of Colt 1860 Army's at a local gun shop and they rekindled my interest in getting into black powder shooting. I didn't look them over as thoroughly as I would before buying them, but the owner said they were Uberti's. They looked flawless in apearance. He wants $99 each. Does that sound like a fair price? Anything in particular I should look for to determine their condition/health? How can I verify they are made by Uberti (standard roll marks like modern firearms)? Any recommendations or insight would help.

Thanks

Vladimir_Berkov

If they are Ubertis and are in good shape that is a great price. However, make sure they are not Piettas (which are cheaper although still decent guns) However, if they are new that is a good price for a Pietta.

Mike Weber

Uberti's for $99.00

If they are Uberti's for $99.00 each buy them up if they are in good shape. Thats a great price and the Uberti's are great shooters.

jakester

Piettas, not Uberti

Looked at them again. Piettas and in pretty rough shape when you take a closer look. He even offered to drop the price to $80 each. Think I'll hold out. Who makes a reasonably priced 1860? Any ones to stay away from? My first time to try black powder, so don't want to sink too much money until I decide if I like to shoot them. Almost strictly a 1911 shooter now, but did have my share of S&W revolvers in the past.

Nodakmarine

I'd check out the Pietta revolvers that Cabelas sells. I got mine out of the bargin cave at the East Grand Forks store for under $100 because it was returned. Damned if I can figure out why but it shoots just fine and there's no functioning problems with it at all. Being able to select which one I wanted right there, I got one with some VERY good looking tiger striped grips on mine. :D No, Pietta is no Uberti but they are still decent quality and after owning one of their 1860 Army, 1851 Navy and an 1858 Remington with 3 cylinders, I have no complaints on any of them.

Alex Johnson

I'd second the Pietas, I've bought several at the East Grand Forks Cabelas in the bargain cave. Nodakmarine what do you think of the Patterson they just put in there?

Mike Weber

Alex Johnson:
It must be really great to live close enough to actually go to a Cabelas store. I've had to order everything from them through the mail. I hear that the stores are incredible. I would love to have one close enough to go browse around. PS I have a pair of
Navy arms 1860's love to shoot em.

Alex Johnson

It's nice to be close to the store, actually it's a five minute walk from the company I work for so I often go down there during lunch to browse the offerings, however, when the financing is done at the end of the month I'm not so sure I'm blessed with it's location.

Mike Weber

Sporting goods stores

Sounds familiar Alex:
I spend so much time at one of our local sporting goods stores that a lot of the customers think that I work there, even ask me questions about merchandise. Scary part of it is that because I spend so much time there, I can anwser their questions.