Colt´s Commander loading failures.

TANTOR

I´d bought a Colt MK IV, Commander 80 Series, 45 ACP. Gun is new and unused but I´d experienced failures to load the first round when I release the slide, cartridge stays in the middle of the way between magazine and chamber. Magazines are original Colt´s and unused to.I´d used round ball ammo. What can be the reason?
Thanks for any help.

------------------
MKB

[This message has been edited by TANTOR (edited September 25, 2000).]

beemerb

Did you lube it?It allso needs to be broken in might be a very tight one.

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.

JimFox

Could be a number of things - the two most likely are 1) it needs to be "broken in". Clean it well, apply a light (and very light would be even better) film of gun oil to the bearing surfaces and run 200 rounds through it.

A second possible cause would be a slightly understrength recoil spring.

The magazine might be the problem, but if you have the same problem with 2 or more different magazines, then it is less likely that the magazine is the cause.

JSP

Load the mags with one round less than capacity and see if that helps - til it's broken in.

Is the feed ramp polished? Are you releasing the slide with the release or "riding it down" by hand? Those might be issues also.

TANTOR

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JSP:
Load the mags with one round less than capacity and see if that helps - til it's broken in.

Is the feed ramp polished? Are you releasing the slide with the release or "riding it down" by hand? Those might be issues also.
[/quote]
Feed ramp is not mirror polished. Is in the rough factory finish. I'd released the slide either by hand from the full rear position and with the release feature. The problem appears only with the first round.
Thanks

------------------
MKB

TANTOR

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by beemerb:
Did you lube it?It allso needs to be broken in might be a very tight one.

[/quote] It was almost dry. Only a little oiled.
Thanks

------------------
MKB

TANTOR

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JimFox:
Could be a number of things - the two most likely are 1) it needs to be "broken in". Clean it well, apply a light (and very light would be even better) film of gun oil to the bearing surfaces and run 200 rounds through it.

A second possible cause would be a slightly understrength recoil spring.

The magazine might be the problem, but if you have the same problem with 2 or more different magazines, then it is less likely that the magazine is the cause.
[/quote]
Many Thanks for your answers!

------------------
MKB

JSP

Tantor,

You may need to get the ramp polished - or do it yourself with some 600 grit paper and your finger or a wood dowel. Just polish it til it feels slick - mirror is best but not always necessary. Don't use anything coarse or you might could affect the ramp angle.

That, lubing the slide rails and releasing the slide quickly may do it. Hope so!

JSP

TANTOR

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="arial,helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JSP:
Tantor,

You may need to get the ramp polished - or do it yourself with some 600 grit paper and your finger or a wood dowel. Just polish it til it feels slick - mirror is best but not always necessary. Don't use anything coarse or you might could affect the ramp angle.
Thanks for your advise , I'll follow your instructions.
Regards

That, lubing the slide rails and releasing the slide quickly may do it. Hope so!

JSP
[/quote]

------------------
MKB

ddt4free

Welcome to the wonderful world of colt paperweight ownership. They used to be great guns in the 20's and 30's but I thought everyone knew that they all kind of suck in the reliablity dept. anymore.