Collet Barrel Bushing Colt 1911

bn12gg

Yesterday I noticed that one of the legs on my Collet barrel bushing was broken off approx. at the half length mark. Since I didn't have another on hand I filed that edge smooth and reinstalled the Collet.

I'm going to order a replacement bushing. Recommendations please: should I go with another Collet or switch to a barrel bushing without the 4 legs to it. The gun is an 80 series 1911 in .45 acp. ??

Thanks

David :)

Jim Watson

I would not shoot it that way unless the zombies were getting close.

Most sources will recommend a solid bushing. Most will recommend you replace a GOOD collet bushing with solid.

If you furnish barrel and slide measurements to EGW they will provide you with as closely fitted a bushing as you can get without gunsmith work.
http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=home
They list a wide selection of styles and sizes, but if you call them up they will take your actual measurements of slide muzzle I.D. and barrel muzzle O.D. to work from.

Did you often yank the bushing off the barrel when field stripping?
Did you torque the bushing around with a bushing wrench without retracting the slide a little?
Either is very hard on the part. I think more collet bushings are broken or at least weakened by mishandling than by shooting, but I am about alone in that opinion.

dsk

Collet bushings often break because either A) the I.D. of the slide is too small, causing the fingers of the bushing to buckle during lockup, and/or B) the front of the slide wasn't machined square, causing added strain on the bushing during lockup. The majority of Series 70/early Series 80 pistols were made just fine and the bushing normally lasts, but if yours broke chances are another collet bushing will break again eventually. Replace it with a decent solid bushing and be done with it. Colt and others make drop-in factory-spec ones, but if you want maximum accuracy then you'll need to mike the barrel O.D. and slide I.D. and get an aftermarket bushing that's .001" larger than the barrel and able to fit in the slide nice and snug.

bn12gg

Actually, I noticed that my barrel link pin was loose and would fall out rather than being snug. I took the barrel and loose link pin to my gunsmith to have it (pin) replaced and installed properly. When putting the 1911 back together I noticed the Collet leg was snapped off. Filed it but haven't shot the gun. Thought I'd check with you folks.

I note that Colt and Midwest Gun Works (among others I suppose) sell a non Collet "Colt" bushing. I'm going to order a solid one today.

Thanks for the rationale for going with the solid bushing.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Dsk lists reasons A and B for breakage of a collet bushing. I will add C, which in my limited experience is the most common cause: Someone playing around, trying to tighten/loosen the bushing. Most of the time, the said someone will explain that the factory didn't know what they were doing, and he (it is always a he) had to "adjust" the bushing like someone did on You Tube. Snap!

Jim

bn12gg

Thanks for the input. Today, I ordered from MGW a standard bushing for my Colt 1911 Government. It was a pleasure dealing with MGW -- smooth transaction, nice guy over the phone. fwiw.

KyJim

I have a Colt with a collet bushing that I don't shoot much but I've thought of replacing the bushing from time to time with a "drop-in" bushing. EGW clams their thicker-than-normal drop-in bushing provides more support for the barrel and increased accuracy. Anybody have any experience with these bushings? Do they help accuracy?

bn12gg

Kyjim -- If your Collet bushing is not broken, why not just leave it alone. Those arms on the bushing are there to improve accuracy of the 1911 as I understand it -- they press inward on the barrel, stabilizing it. imo

I ordered a standard "Colt" OE bushing. Let us know how your after market bushing works. Thanks

745SW

I’ve had three Colt series 70 Gold Cups and have never broken any part. All three had collect bushings. All I do is move the bushing around on the barrel for cleaning/lube and have no reason to remove the bushing from the barrel. I’ve pulled the bushing off once but that’s it. I tend to mod some stuff but I never thought of bending the fingers of the collect.

GyMac

I had 2 of the Colts with collet bushings. I had been reading for a long time how they were prone to breakage, but mine had been working fine and I told a friend how I thought they were just fine. Then, within 6 months of each other, they both broke. Now, I view them as just a passing fad. On a side note, whenever anybody refers to a "Series 70" Colt, it really bothers me that they are referring to a 1911 without a firing pin safety. It really means the collet bushing.

KyJim

Kyjim -- If your Collet bushing is not broken, why not just leave it alone. Those arms on the bushing are there to improve accuracy of the 1911 as I understand it -- they press inward on the barrel, stabilizing it. imo
It doesn't qualify as a collector's item but it would be neat to be able to pull it out and show it (unbroken) years down the road. It was my first 1911 (1980s vintage). This particular pistol is not particularly accurate even with the Collet bushing.

Jim