Cold Weather BP Shooting

kraigwy

I know BP builds up in the barrel as it's shot and the barrel needs swabbed every couple rounds (I swab mine after three rounds).

What do you use in cold weather. Normaly I use warm soaky water or TC's mixture.

Both freeze. I was shooting yesterday and it was right around 0*. Its a pain to shoot three rounds and head for the house to swab the barrel, then back out side for another three rounds.

Is there a cold weather BP barrel lube that can be used to swab a barrel in sub zero temps??

BirchOrr

Re:

mykeal is correct.

I swab between every shot. In the field, I keep a plastic Skoal can in my pocket (to keep it warm) full of either T/C pre-soaked patches, or I pre-make my own using Simple Green.

After a shot, I run 2 or 3 wet patches (I roll them into a ball between my fingers so they're not too wet, don't want to foul the nipple/breach plug) until they come out fairly clean. Run a couple dry patches. Load powder and sabot, ball, etc. After loading, I run a patch of Ballistol to protect the barrel and keep it from freezing. I can do this in under 2 minutes and well worth it!

Birch

Pahoo

Mineral Spirits

Another use for Mineral Spirits .... ;)
I also use a product called; StrongArm

Be Safe !!!

kraigwy

Thanks for the info guys, I really like the Skoal can ideal.

Now if I can only get my wife to use some Skoal so I can get an empty can I'd be good to go.

BirchOrr

^^^

Get her to drink the alcohol, chew the Skoal and after that... you might be persuaded to go shooting at a later time. :D