Cold-shot problems.....

Nyterunner

I have a vz24-action rifle with a #7contour Shilen barrel and a Parker-Hale (read Gibbs) M82-style wood stock. It is bedded with Marine-Tex and the barrel is floated.
When I shoot, I always get 1/2" groups, EXCEPT for the 'cold shot'. It is always high (and usually 3/4" to the 11 o'clock). It doesn't matter how hot the barrel gets, it always shoots 1/2" or better, EXCEPT for the cold shot. Shoot till the barrel is too hot to touch, it's fine. As soon as it cools, you get the cold shot off. It is always JUST THE FIRST ROUND, and has done this with other shooters. Everything after the first round is perfect.Any suggestions on a fix?

HankL

Many rifles will throw the first shot if any solvent or oil remains in the bore from cleaning. If this is not the case I would say shoot low and to the 5 oclock about 3/4"
Good Luck
Hank

George Stringer

Staff Alumnus
Nyterunner, Hank is about right. I know of no cure for the cold barrel shot. When I'm testing a rifle for accuracy, I always send the first couple of shots downrange at the birm. If it's your hunting rifle you might want to sight it in for the cold shot. George