Cold barrel vs hot barrel. Clean barrel vs. fouled barrel.

AL45

From your experience what has the greatest impact on accuracy, a cold barrel vs a hot barrel or a clean barrel vs a fouled barrel. I once owned a H&R single shot .308 that would shoot 6 inches below the bullseye with a clean, cold barrel. The next shot would be about three inches low and all the rest would group 1-2 inches in the bullseye. I don't know if it was fouling or heating that changed things. I currently own a Ruger scout .308 with laminated stock. Today out of a fouled barrel, I shot 10 rounds of 110 grain bullets and 10 rounds of 165 grain bullets. With each bullet I shot 2, 3 shot groups and 1, 4 shot group. In both cases the 4 shot groups, which were the last groups, shot more accurately. This rifle only has iron sights, and I was shooting 100 yards over a sandbag, so it could have been me getting in a groove, or perhaps this gun is more accurate when it heats up. Any ideas?

Dufus

Most times if you are hunting, the first shot is the only one that counts.

Target shooting is completely different.

When I am developing loads or sighting in, I don't get the barrel more than 10 degrees over ambient temperature. But, that is just me and I check the barrel with a Fluke IR temperature sensor. Always.

jpx2rk

I have a RAR 223 with pencil barrel, 1st shot with cold/clean bore is dead on, after that it's anyone's guess, handloads do best.

Scorch

Clean barrel will throw the first one or two rounds. After that, the barrel is fouled and the POI should be much more consistent. Cold barrel vs hot, yeah they will wander a little. But clean vs fouled there is a huge difference.

bamaranger

cold, clean, wet......watch out

A cold, clean, wet (oil) bore shoots to different POI in several of my rifles. Notably, a Savage Hog .308, and its little brother, in .223, both show tendency to shoot very high, when cold, wet, clean.

On the fouling side, a Rem 700 ADL in .270 is a terrible copper fouler. The ADL shows good accuracy across a wide range of bullet weights, and will shoot satisfactory groups with most all my loads. But after 20 rds or so, groups open, not terribly, but perhaps from 1-1.5 MOA to 2MOA +.

T. O'Heir

"...wet (oil) bore..." Shouldn't be any oil in the barrel.
"...all the rest would group..." Every rifle is different. Another H&R might shoot best with a clean cold barrel. That's why the shooter needs to know how his rifles shoot.

std7mag

When you say clean, do you mean cleaned of all copper?

Personally i leave the copper in my barrels. Clean with Hoppes#9 to remove any carbon.

ed308

When you say clean, do you mean cleaned of all copper? Personally i leave the copper in my barrels. Clean with Hoppes#9 to remove any carbon.

Same here. I only worry about copper when accuracy starts to falls off. When that happens, I clean the copper out of the barrel. Not a fan of cleaning my barrels all that much and they seem to shoot fine until copper builds up. After I clean, 2-3 fouling shoots then I'm off to the races.

RC20

Me, I target shoot. One shoots dead on cold or warm. Over time it walks a bit warmer but that is 30 round into a 50 round session.

Other two like a fouling shot.

I go no more than 50 before cleaning. If I shoot less it gets cleaned before it gets put away.

I use a modern carbon cleaner (Carbon Killer 2000) - I clean it at the bench and barrel warm.

I don't have any copper, will hit it with Bore Tech Eliminator if I do (mil surplus guns works very good on - it also has a carbon cleaner so its a good overall cleaner to start on a fouled old barrel with)

Hunting, first 3 shots that count an usually the first one. I am fine with 1.5 inches in a hunting gun, I don't like one (would get rid of it) that walks a lot between the first 3 shots.

Mobuck

"I always zeroed my hunting rifle cold fouled bore."

That's my plan, also. I do a zero check and then fire a single shot each morning for 2-3 days to verify the "cold, fouled bore" zero-usually leaving both rifle and ammo exposed to whatever the normal ambient temps are at the time.
The only time I clean a rifle during hunting season is if it gets soaked. Most often when this happens, I simply switch rifles to another that's also been prepped just like the primary( I often start deer season with 3-4 rifles ready to use just in case something happens to the primary)

cje1980

I've found this really depends on the quality of the rifle and barrel. My Tikkas don't really change POI until the barrel gets really hot which I never allow to happen anyway. I agree with others. Clean vs fouled barrel can cause some shifts.

Picher

I clean my bores before putting them away, using Butch's Bore Shine, then a dry patch, then a LIGHT coat of Break-Free to prevent corrosion.

The first shot at targets is wasted, but is never out of the group enough to result in a miss on game. It may be out an inch at 100 yards, at most. Since, except for very rare occurrences, there are no scoring rings on game/varmints, so I don't notice any deviation from center.

cw308

I'm on the same page as RC20 . I'm a target shooter I clean after 30 rounds , I attached a thermal strip on my barrel not to over heat . I shoot 6 five shot groups no foul shots , groups are consistent first to last . Clean with KG - 1 for carbon then KG - 12 for copper , hardly any sign of copper in the barrel it's match grade 5R . Finish cleaning with Hoppes #9 an patch it dry . I shoot one minute between shots for five shots 10 minutes between groups.

Doyle

Carlos Hathcock would say the first shot is the only one that counts

I agree. My hunting rifle barrels only get a complete scrubbing before going to the range for a "serious" resighting. If they are clean, then I'll waste a few shots at the range to foul them, sight the scope being careful to keep the barrel cool, then leave it that way all through the hunting season.