COL - Acceptable variations?

castnblast

I was currious what acceptable variations (due primarily to diffences in ogive and/or soft tips) do you tollerate for your rounds?

This topic is specific to rifle rounds.

Hog Buster

The answer to your question may only be conjured up via black magic or close thereto.

In most cases it doesn't matter much. EXCEPT when using compressed or maximum loads. Seated too deep and you may experience over pressures. Not Good.

COL is only a reference so that your rounds will work in most guns. Note I say most, not all. COL has to be less on some guns depending on bullet style.

Now if you like to tinker you can seat your bullets a few thousands in or out till you seem to find the sweet spot. Add this to finding just the right powder, load, primer, brass, phase of the moon, planet alignment etc. and much time can be wasted and not much achieved. Then when you try a different weight or brand of bullet, case, primer, install a new sling, or read TFL fourms you can start all over.

But to answer your question in somewhat reasonable fashion. Several thousands one way or the other doesn't matter to me, as long as I seat that batch the same depth. If the batch function properly, go bang and I have a decent group, I’m happy. Of course I'm not shooting off mosquito's wings at 1000 yards. If I was I guess I would just have to conjure up my COL sweet spot according to my daily horoscope.;)

castnblast

That is funny. I was currious because I'm assuming slight variations in the ogive were resulting in some variation in bullet seating. My 270 rounds were set for 3.280, but some (not many) were going down to 3.269 - most were w/in my usuall tolerance of .005+or-. I'm no where near max, but I was just currious what others use as a rule of thumb.

Hog Buster

Castnblast

To be serious for at least one post, here goes....A few years back I had a Marlin 336 in 44 Mag that wouldn't function with some of my reloads. I was loading one of Lyman's cast bullets, I forget which, but it was a 240 grain I think. Seated to the COL listed it was too long for functioning in the rifle. If memory serves me right I had to seat the bullet 50 to 75 thousandths deeper than the COL listed to get it to feed properly. I did just that and never had any problems. At the time I was loading 296 fairly hot and this seating really compressed the load, but it still shot fine. I killed a few deer and a bunch of hogs with this load and no difficulties. Since then I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to COL.

James R. Burke

I am about the same has CastandBlast that is close enough. Your right you can get way to carried away. Nice to do a good job, but there is a limit.

castnblast

Thanks - I started checking every load. These loads are in a 700bdl, which has pleanty of wiggle room. Thanks for your input.