Cocking lever for Ruger LCR

Elerius

I'm not exactly sure where to post this, but this seems the best section to start. I really, really want to pick up an LCR in .327 Federal. I like a revolver for pocket carry, and this gun at a J-frame size, amazing DAO trigger with 6 rounds of nearly .357 power is about the most perfect thing I can think of. However, I currently carry my no-dash M38 because of the shrouded hammer with the cocking lever on it gives me the option of single action.

I personally believe a person is most likely not going to need to draw and fire with speed in the majority of theoretical defense situations, especially in pocket carry where you know the situation is about to get bad and you can have your hand in the pocket. I want this LCR but I don't want to give up the single action ability my Bodyguard has.

Barring Ruger making them this way, how difficult would it be to convert this kind of thing? I'd be willing to send it to a smith to have it custom done, since I'm not very mechanically inclined and doubt I could do it on my own. But with the self contained housing and the level of work that went into making the trigger so smooth I don't really have a realistic concept of if it can be converted or if that's just fantasy.

Anyone know the level of difficulty, and hopefully could suggest a smith capable of doing nice work like this? I'd appreciate any info on the subject

g.willikers

You can use the stock hammer for single action by just starting the hammer back with the trigger and then cocking it the rest of the way in the normal manner.
Better yet is to shoot it double action.
Most folks who feel the need to be able to use the single action just need a better technique and more practice with DA.
Besides, SA in a defensive situation can cause a bad shoot.
Adrenaline and single action can be a poor mix.

Bill DeShivs

The "cocking lever" is the hammer.
Why not just learn to use the gun as it was designed, instead of handicapping yourself with single action?

Radny97

I'm not super familiar with the LCR internals. But if they are anything like other shrouded hammer revolvers what you are suggesting is likely impossible.
You see your SA/DA revolver actually has two sears. One for double action and another one for locking into single action. But most shourded hammer revolvers have only one seat beachside they only need one for the double action. I'm willing to bet that the LCR only has one sear. A double action sear. Meaning that actually it would not have the mechanical capability of being cocked and holding that cock without immediately releasing.
Now I could be wrong and I know there are certainly some creative GunSmith's out there. But pulling this off I think would be quite complicated. If not impossible.

Radny97

Just a follow up issue.
I love the LCR in 327 fed and I want one badly. But I have seen a lot of comments that people hope for an LCRx in 327. My opinion is "don't hold your breath."
Apparently the LCR is a much stronger internal build than the LCRx and can handle a lot more pressure than the LCRx. I reach this assumption from watching YouTube gunsmith videos of breakdowns of the LCR and LCRx and also just from noticing what calibers Ruger releases in LCR versus LCRx. Notice that they have only put the steel cylinder on the LCR and they only offer the high pressure calibers (357 mag, 9mm, and 327 fed) in the LCR.
My (educated) guess is that we won't see the LCRx in these calibers until they do an internal redesign. Ruger could be working on a project like that but who knows. I would love to see that, but I'm not optimistic.

Elerius

How about the LCRx that comes with the hammer?
They don't make an LCRx in .327 Federal. Even if they did, I wouldn't really want to carry it in the pocket without a shroud, and that would just be a different problem to solve.

Why not just learn to use the gun as it was designed, instead of handicapping yourself with single action?
I don't know why this would be a handicap... the current LCR is DAO, and being able to fire it in single action only gives me more versatility with it, not less. It isn't as if I couldn't just fire it DA if I wanted to. But the cocking lever gives me the option if I desire. Anyone who is proficient in DAO should be an even better shot in SA mode. This is why I carry the Model 38, which has a shrouded hammer and cocking lever. The best of both worlds in terms of action, but minus the desirability of .327 and a sixth round.

I'm not super familiar with the LCR internals. But if they are anything like other shrouded hammer revolvers what you are suggesting is likely impossible.
You see your SA/DA revolver actually has two sears. One for double action and another one for locking into single action. But most shourded hammer revolvers have only one seat beachside they only need one for the double action. I'm willing to bet that the LCR only has one sear. A double action sear. Meaning that actually it would not have the mechanical capability of being cocked and holding that cock without immediately releasing.
Now I could be wrong and I know there are certainly some creative GunSmith's out there. But pulling this off I think would be quite complicated. If not impossible.

This is what I was afraid of. You're probably right, it is set up differently and can't be changed without high difficulty. Thanks for the info

Mobuck

I have a Ruger Security Six that has been smoothed and the hammer spur removed. The gunsmith added checkering to the top of the remaining hammer stub making it easier to do the "pull the trigger slightly and then thumb cock the hammer for single action". That is not as easy as it sounds and with a light DA trigger pull, is borderline dangerous unless using both hands(well, even WITH both hands, it's dangerous).

For the reasons discussed above, I am not sure if it is possible to add single action capability to an LCR. But I can say with confidence that it will not be financially possible. When a gunsmith does work at a modest cost, that is because he has done the job before and knows exactly what to do. Gun parts may seem expensive, but it is actually the gunsmith's time that is very expensive. If a gunsmith has to figure out how to do a tricky one time job, the cost for his time is usually prohibitive. I am not aware of any gunsmith who already offers the service you are looking for, so the cost will almost certainly be prohibitive.

However, you might still be able to get satisfactory performance from an LCR in 327. I have shot revolvers with gunsmithed triggers. With a very good double action trigger, it is possible to shoot very well. The LCR revolvers are known for their good trigger, and with practice they can be shot accurately. And I think there are gunsmiths who do offer a service to improve the LCR trigger. I have not looked for this service, but you could investigate if this is available. And you might find an LCR with a very smooth double action trigger to be acceptable.

weblance

Taurus made a 327 small frame 6 shot revolver with a 2" barrel in blue and stainless. Its discontinued, but used examples show up fairly often. They now offer a 38 Special that is the same frame, with a removable spur hammer. You could find one of the discontinued Taurus 327s, get the hammer from Taurus, and have the best of both worlds. Use the spur for range shooting, and testing of loads, then carry it spurless. Or, find the 327 Taurus, and bob the spur. You can catch the hammer as you start to pull the trigger, then cock it completely to the SA notch.