CNMG 22lr adapter

BoogieMan

I have been seeing these adapters all over. Under $200, replaces the BCG in your AR. Anyone use them yet? What's your thoughts?

BoogieMan

I have never seen a ar22 upper that used a standard ar15 lower. If they are available I would expect pricing to be considerable more than the adapter.

marine6680

I have a DPMS dedicated 22LR upper.

Reliable and accurate.

I got it for around $300

It was designed from the ground up as a 22lr, and not shoehorned into a standard machined upper, it has a very 10/22 like bolt.

I have heard that 22lr fired through a standard AR bore is not the best for accuracy, but good enough for closer range plinking.

I thought hard about getting a conversion, and decided against it. I also looked into many different 22lr uppers. Ended up with the DPMS not only for the lower cost, but I also liked the design better.

I have a strong suspicion that it is made by Nordic Components, a variant of their dedicated 22lr upper... Though they have moved on to a gen 2 version under their branding. Nordic makes good stuff.

TimW77

.22 LR Conversion kit for a .223 Rem Upper

After selling off a lot of older, pre-ban AR-15s, I ended up with an old upper missing the complete Bolt Carrier Unit and Charging Handle.

Had always wanted to to try a ".22 LR Conversion kit" anyway.

So, both problems solved using the .22 Conversion in this rifle and keeping them and another lower together as a dedicated .22 LR Rifle.

Don't know the history of the upper but it has a very slow twist so it works far better than a 1:7" or 1:8" twist barrel.

Function is 100% and accuracy out to 25 Yards is very good.

T.

rep1954

All the conversions I've seen or owned you can remove the part that fits into the chamber with a part thats called a collar and replace the barrel with one that is chambered for 22LR. These barrels come in a normal rimfire twist. I took a 1 in 9 / 5.56 barrel and cut it short behind the gas port for a pistol and it grouped just fine and really made the 60gr.SSS come alive.

Fishbed77

I have never seen a ar22 upper that used a standard ar15 lower. If they are available I would expect pricing to be considerable more than the adapter.

There are many .22LR uppers out there that work on AR-15 lowers.

I have a .22LR CMMG Sierra upper that works fantastically on a PSA AR-15 lower. It's very accurate and is as reliable as any other semi-auto rimfire rifle.

I paid under $400 for the upper about 5 years ago.

tallwalker

I bought a CMMG .22LR upper about two years ago to use as practice for high power service rifle matches. I think it was about $300. Has been flawless, even using a pinch tool to single load off the magazine. Works with any lower I have put it on, Rock River, PSA, CMMG, even a couple 80% I milled myself.

TimW77

"conversion unit" vs. a "conversion"

"All the conversions I've seen or owned you can remove the part that fits into the chamber with a part thats called a collar and replace the barrel with one that is chambered for 22LR."

Well, you need to keep looking!:rolleyes:

A "conversion unit" vs. a "conversion", all you do is remove the BCG (bolt carrier group) install the .22 conversion and you are done!

NO "collar", NO BARREL REPLACEMENT....

T.

TimmyD

I've used the CMMG .22lr conversion for a number of years and have had no problems with it. Accuracy is good and function is good when, like most semi automatic .22s, you find ammunition it likes.

Ibmikey

My DPMS dedicated rifle has a lower that will function on any AR upper. The dedicated upper is 100% reliable and accurate built as a M4 look alike, after many thousand rounds it looks and prints as new and the barrel twist is correct for the LR bullet (1/16).
The conversions work but are bouncing a lead bullet down the barrel of your home defense weapon.