CMP turn-around time/outcome

Selfdfenz

Here are a few questions for TFLers who have actually ordered a rifle from the CMP-Anniston, AL in the last 60-120 days.

1.How long did it take for the rifle to arrive from the time your ordered?
2.Was it a carbine or Garand and would that make a difference in turn-around time in your estimation/experience/SWAG?
3.If it was a service grade rifle were you happy with what you received?

Thank you ladies and gentlemen in advance for responding and yes I used the search function before posting?

Best

S-

cobra81

1. My order took 42 days from date CMP received it until BWT showed up in my driveway.
2. Actually it was a 1903-A3. Don't think carbine or M1 will make any difference at this time. Be prepared for 120 days whatever you order. Your CC won't be hit until they actually ship it. I got mine in December; things have gotten more backlogged since then.
3. The Service Grade Garands have been VERY nice of late. Most of them have been HRA, with pristine barrels and lots of HRA parts. I bought 2 HRA M1's from North Store just last month, and they are among the best CMP offerings I've seen.

Direct from CMP Chief:

ORDER BACKLOG. For the past six months, the number of orders received by CMP for rifles, ammunition, and all other products has been unprecedented. As of today, 10 April 2009, our Sales Order Processing Dept is up to processing / shipping orders received at the end of Jan 2009, with several thousand orders still to go for Feb and Mar. Because of the large volume of orders that we continue to receive daily in the mail and through the estore, customers should not expect any acknowledgment of our receiving orders for
30-45 days after mailing the order, and should not expect delivery for 90-120 days from placing an order. We ask our customers to bear with us. We will eventually recover from this surge. The CMP staff thanks you for your support and patience.
Hope this helps.

bcarver

what I remember...

1.(Garand HRA Service grade) about 90 days back before christmas.
2. From what I understand about order process absolutely no difference.
Either they have it or not.(If it is listed they have it).
3. It was extremely nice. It was a post war HRA. It is beutiful.

Selfdfenz

Thank you for responding. My paperwork left today.
I wonder if it would be possible to speed up the process by going there and picking up the items. There was a time they accepted volunteer helpers and the story I heard is if they were approved buyers they could pick out items when the day was done and purchase them at that time. Anniston isn't so far away I couldn't afford to give'em a weekend if it helped get things more quickly.

Again thank you both for responding and I'll keep looking for other replies. Sounds like your both received nice rifles.

Best

S-

finfanatic

Two orders from CMP

September 08 I ordered a Service Grade Springfield Garand. Go it in about 3 weeks.

Shiny bore, muzzle is great, a brand new Birch Boyd's stock, and it is exceedingly accurate.

Garand-CMP1-small.jpg

The end of October, I ordered a M1917 "Enfield" and had a few problems with the ship to address and didn't get it until the week after Thanksgiving. I thought it would be an Eddystone, but it turned out to be a Winchester.

M1917-Left-Small.jpg

It is accurate also. I wanted a shooter and got one.

Selfdfenz

Thank you for the response and the photos finfanatic. That's a very nice looking Springfield. I sent customer service an E-mail this morning to see if donating a day of work will allow me to change my timing but I may go and work a day there for the experience. Not sure if that's still an option of not but it would be educational and something I would enjoy.

S-

blume357

I think it may have been the letter I included with my order

asking that they do the best they could to expedite the order. I was giving the rifle to my father who was turning 80 in Feb. and is one of the 'Chosin Few'..

from the day they acknowledged receiving the order... three days.

Selfdfenz

So they do look and they must open all the mail as it comes in, which is good.

More importantly tell your father thank you for me.

S-

Last edited: