CMP M1 Garand

horatioo

Is the price of $595 for a service grade Garand a cheap price? I see them for sale for a lot more other places.

Also is the Garand the best value through CMP?

Thanks

Last edited:

horseman308

That's really a pretty good deal. I believe they are subsidized or something through the CMP, because the original plan was to make it easy/affordable for all private citizens to train and be effective marksmen. The collectors market drives up the prices of Garands pretty quick once you get on the private market. My dad got a November 1942 serial number for about $300 several years ago. I imagine it was listed at Service Grade back then, but he hasn't shot it much and could probably get nearly $1000 for it from the right person today.

So, GO GET ONE!

kraigwy

Yes is a reasonable price. The guns belong to the military and are surplus, an act of congress authorised the program under the old DCM (Devisison of Civilian Marksmanship. They had a rather small staff, and it took a lot longer to get things done, Then it was switched to the CIVILIAN MPARMSHIP PLAN in the early 90s. They increased the staff and had to raise the prices to cover the cost of the program.

I got mine in the early 80s for $112.70 shipped,. but the lag time was much longer then it was now. Also the lag time for getting your leg points or dist. badge was longer too.

But, in reality, they haven't come up as much as most guns have. With the CMP rifles, you know they are inspected, you know they are safe, its worth the cost in my opinion.

Chris_B

The CMP grades according to wear. The Service Grade is a good deal. Some people got rifles that were quite near 'Correct" Grades when they ordered Service grades up until recently; that is not happening now. It is causing some folks to say "hey this rifle isn't as nice as (fill in the blank's) Service grade!" But that's the nature of the beast- as long as the rifle falls into that grade, it is that grade- and there is some overlap both up and down in some areas. Muzzle wear may be merely acceptable while throat erosion may be quite low for instance

Here is my CMP Service grade Springfield. 1944 production, all SA parts (1946 SA barrel) except for the elevation knob. It was 595 dollars.

M1black-1.jpg

It did not come with a sling, and it did not come with the M1 helmet, either ;)

I replaced the handguards (costing a whopping 40 dollars) to match my stock better. The stock was visually underwhelming when I got it. It is USGI walnut and it took about 80 hours and who knows how many coats of boiled linseed oil to look good. The repro M1907 sling was 20 bucks

It took elbow grease and low bucks to make this rifle the equal or better of rifles I have seen going for 1500 dollars at shows and shops; and it shoots well. A rifle you get from the CMP as a Service grade will likely come with a new buttstock these days

dreamweaver

that's a good deal for service grade. alot of the guns for sale on GB and other places were CMP guns at one time. now being sold for $750 and up.
similar thing happens with CMP milsurp ammo. some folks are buying and reselling at higher prices. (not supposed to, but they do)

Icopy1

You can't beat a CMP service grade. If you live close to one of thier stores, you can choose the one you want. I live 45 minutes from the Camp Perry store, and it comes in handy.

horatioo

Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization:

I have to join one of these to be able to buy my Garand. Can anyone recommend one? The only one that I can find close to me is in Joplin MO and costs $75. I would rather join one that sends me magazines or something and that is a lot cheaper.

What is the purpose of these Affiliated organizations?

Thanks

support_six

If you are retired military and provide either your retired ID card or DD214 indicating "RETIRED" on it, you are good for life for both marksmanship and affiliated organizations. No need to even keep it updated like most other affiliated organizations require.

Avenger

The Service Grade is a GREAT deal, WELL worth the money. You'll get a rifle that shows some wear (call it character, odds are she EARNED those scars, even if it was only by putting up with clumsy Greek Army trainees...), is a GREAT shooter, and is going to make your friends just SICK with envy.
Pick up an M1907 sling in the 46" length from Turner Saddlery as your second purchase.

Navy joe

I'll hawk USPSA as a great one to join for affiliation, nice magazine and a bunch of people that like to run around and shoot pistols.

campperrykid

CMP has been busy opening more doors for more good people.
www.thecmp.org
Click on Eligibilty Requirements in the upper left. There have been huge changes in the last few years. It is much easier to qualify than ever before.
For example: read the part about CCW very carefully.