CMP M1 Carbines Ammo Question

KyJim

I'm thinking of ordering a CMP M1 Carbine and possibly using it for home defense. Do most of these feed hollow points or jacketed soft points reliably?

Please, don't tell me to get another caliber (e.g., 5.56 mm) or to use a shotgun. I have these. The M1 Carbine would be a niche gun. Thanks.

jrothWA

Hello, A great question..

first the m1 Carbine was design for use with FMJ bullets.

SOme Carbines may feed with no problem, the various soft-nosed ammo.

Having used in mine the Hornady 100gr short jacket plinker bullets, I took some 300 grit paper glued to a 1/4" dowel rod, and lightly smoothed the feed ramp, there where some tooling marks still visible.
The soft-nosed ammo slides nicely over the ramp into the chamber and FMJ go flying.

FOR HD the Carbine is something to consider, it give a large firearm is present and with the butt pouch on the stock, you have two 15 round magazines at the ready. ( PS: load with 13, just to be safe with the mags.)

amd6547

No problem with commercial SP's in my GI CMP Inland (or with the Plainfield I owned several years ago.
I always have loaded my 15rd mags with 15rds, never had a problem, even if they were kept loaded for a while.

Ruger4570

I have an old Inland that was a "lend lease" gun I acquired close to 30 years ago. I also polished the feed ramp and it seems to function with everything I put through it. It will even work well with the Speer plinkers with the jacket bigger than the lead part.

KyJim

Thanks for the input. I don't mind a little simple fluff and buff. I have always been attracted to the carbine and I am talking myself into buying one. It's a little easier to justify a purchase for possible defensive use. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

blume357

Get one then, you'll love the sweet little thing....

they are neat little rifles.... and the CMP is the way to go... these puppies have some history to them.

I really don't see the advantage of worrying about hollow point or soft point... just shoot FMJ out of it.

Mine has perfect metal but the stock was beat to hell... I know it might be blasphemy but this is what I did to it:

M1carb.jpg

amd6547

If you are using it for self defense ( I do...), soft point or other expanding bullets is the way to go.

brlau

For SP ammo choices, look at this thread over at M4carbine:
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19956

Here's an excerpt of the thread, which was written by Dr. Roberts:

The best ammunition choices for the M1 Carbine are the Remington 110 gr JSP (R30CAR) and the Corbon 110 gr JHP DPX loading using the all copper Barnes X bullet. The Remington load has an average velocity of 1864 f/s, expands to around .54” to .58” and penetrates 13” to 16” whether in bare gelatin, through automobile windshields, or Level IIIa body armor. This is comparable intermediate barrier performance to many good .223 loads. Likewise, the Corbon DPX load penetrates 18.9" and expands to 0.56" in bare gelatin. The Winchester 110 gr JSP also works reasonably well, but has a bit smaller permanent wound channel compared to the Remington or Corbon DPX load. In addition, the new Speer 110 gr Gold Dot carbine load appears very promising based on the factory test data released at SHOT 2009:

blume357

That is a Choate Stock... I assume they still sell them

When I got the little carbine... I really wanted a reproduction Paratrooper stock but there were none to be had... went for around $150... but all back ordered... now cheaper than dirt has them for $300!

I just went to their web sight: http://www.RifleStock.com/index.cfm

they list a folding stock for the 'M1' but don't say Garand or Carbine anywhere... so I can't figure it out... I suspect it is for the Carbine but would for sure contact them to find out. sure looks like a carbine in the picture.

Here is the link specifically to the 'M1" folder...

http://www.RifleStock.com/catalog_p...ductCode=21&ProductSubCodeID=155&NewProduct=0

they do mention it will not fit the 'Universal M1'... which I would assume is the aftermarket M1 Carbines that were made later and are not well thought of... I think it has to do with the person putting the web sight together not knowing about these rifles and the difference between 'Garand and Carbine'

Mannlicher

This has been my HD rifle for many years

Inland, with all matching Inland parts now. I have a fair amount of the Remington 110 grain SP, and thats what I load the magazines with.
img1291.jpg

KyJim

Thanks for all the info. I've pretty much decided to get one. It has more range and power than a handgun but, with JSP or hollow points, shouldn't penetrate through walls, etc. as much as a .223.