CMMG AK/AR MK47 Hybrid Review

Mrgunsngear

vNVweYQ.jpg

Pros:
-100% reliable to date with a variety of ammo/mag combinations
-Some folks will prefer the ergos vs. a standard AK/AKM
-Accurate (groups in the video below) for a 7.62x39 rifle
-Large paddle mag release
-Steel bar in the lower reciever will reduce the likelyhood of receiver damage from com-bloc mags
-Stock/grip/trigger/buffer tube are mil spec AR parts and can be swapped out as you see fit
-1913 top rail allow for mounting of AR height optics
-KeyMod rail allows easy attachment of KeyMod compatable accessories

Cons:
-lower/upper/BCG are proprietary
-Cycling the action is harder than with a standard AR15 due to the stiffer buffer spring and (relatively) small AR15 charging handle. A BCM Gunfighter style charging handle would do wonders for that...
-No BHO with standard mags. However, BHO mags work as they would on an AK

Video review:

CMMG Mutant Review Link

Darker Loaf

Good review! If I didn't already own a ridiculously expensive AK, I'd be eyeing that up. It looks to be one of the best versions of an AK + AR type that I've seen. I love that it accepts a variety of AK mags and that the magazine interface is basically similar to that of an AK. What a great plinker, hunter, hd, whatever gun. A poor man's .300 Blackout.

skizzums

really sweet gun. I got rid of al my x39 rifles when I started reloading, but this has me thinking about it again. thanks for the review

Justice06RR

Thanks for the review, and nice pic. The muzzle blast looks fierce :D

I like the rifle, but have a few qualms about it:

- High price tag ($1500 MSRP?? Give me an Arsenal AK for that coin)
- DI system (Although reliable, will be dirtier overall. I prefer piston systems when running AK steel ammo)

Everything else about the rifle seems cool. But I'm just thinking here, another AK/AR hybrid for what purpose? To mix the AK (7.62x39) with an AR? I really don't see the point, unless you want to run your AK mags/ammo in an AR type rifle.

I like the AR and AK platforms equally, and don't see a point of combining them into one gun. I guess if you really want to run a larger caliber in an AR and use AK mags, but you get the downside of a dirty DI gun.

Darker Loaf

DI guns aren't really dirty. I clean mine every 1,000 rounds or so and have no reliability issues. I've taken rifle carbine courses, and I go hunting with mine, so it sees it's fair share of use.

The advantage of an AK/AR combo is that you'd get better accuracy than just an AK... unless you are willing to spend $1.4k like I did on my Arsenal SAM7, but even my SAM7 won't spit Wolf at 1 MOA. I get about 2-4 MOA with standard Wolf. I can get 1 MOA out of Hornady SST's. I wonder what the Mutant would do with Hornady SST's. plouffedaddy, want to buy a box of Hornady and try grouping from sandbags? Pretty please?

Mrgunsngear

DI guns aren't really dirty. I clean mine every 1,000 rounds or so and have no reliability issues. I've taken rifle carbine courses, and I go hunting with mine, so it sees it's fair share of use.

Agreed.

The advantage of an AK/AR combo is that you'd get better accuracy than just an AK... unless you are willing to spend $1.4k like I did on my Arsenal SAM7, but even my SAM7 won't spit Wolf at 1 MOA. I get about 2-4 MOA with standard Wolf. I can get 1 MOA out of Hornady SST's. I wonder what the Mutant would do with Hornady SST's. plouffedaddy, want to buy a box of Hornady and try grouping from sandbags? Pretty please?

It also has an advantage as a suppressor host.

I may take it out for another accuracy test but I'm not sure how much longer I'll have the rifle...

Duzell

thanks

Official Video into of the monster :VID

thanks for the review, im hoping to someday pick one of these nice toys up. it defiantly seems to fix the issues seen in the frainken ar/ak mixs

Brotherbadger

Thanks for another great review. I'd love one of those, but can't justify the cost right now. Hopefully we see moe companies try this in the future.