CMMG 308 18" SASS Rifle....thoughts?

Servo77

I see that CMMG is now offering a complete 308 ar-10 type rifle. THye have been available through CDNN, but a couple have popped up oin gunbroker as well. I am interested in branching out to the AR-10 type rifles, but I cannot find any feedback on the CMMG. Does anyone have any experience with these rifles? Do AR-10 pattern rifles have any issues that AR-15's do not? I like the idea of a 308 ar because 6.8 ammo is not stocked by any local dealer.

What say you?

lmccrock

The main issue with the 308 AR style rifles is lack of commonality of parts. AR15 uppers and lowers pretty much interchange, do not expect it with 308 brands. Some do, some do not. Handguards as well.

Look to see what type magazine it takes; CMMG was making one that takes G3 mags. Usually they are Armalite type, SR-25 type (KAC, DPMS, LaRue, JP, Fulton, new Bushmaster, others), or FAL (RRA, old Bushmaster). Are G3 mags ok with you?

Lee

RC20

I have handled the DPMS Mini SASS which is a 5.56 takeoff on their SASS in 308.

Nice gun, well built, good fit and they are reputed to have really good accuracy.

My S&W 41 magnum had no interchange parts with a Colt, my Sig has no parts that interchange with Glock.

Basically I would not guy a gun of that type that did not have a lifetime warranty, and or a solid reputation that seemed they would not go away. DPMS I am not sure on warranty, but I do not think they will go away.

LMT would be a very good choice as well.

In other words, any time we guy anything other than an AR, that's the decision we make, can we trust them (or just ignore it).