Clyde Barrow's H&R .44

BrittB

They said on the show it was a 44 but I don't know that they even made a 44 back then. The gun can be found in the Old Red Museum in Dalles TX so I may email them to see if I can get more info on it.
To me, the picture looks more like a .410/45 long colt. What's the odds the TV got it wrong or I incorrectly heard the caliber, pretty good I'd say!

hardworker

they made 44 specials back then, but I've never seen one in a break action gun like that. That looks like a shotgun, something H&R has made boatloads of though.

30-30remchester

BRITT, first off, this "build" will be illegal if the shotgun barrel is cut shorter than 18" and an overall length of 26"? This very discussion was just mentioned in an above forum, I believe in the " FIREARMS RESEARCH" section, one forum above this forum. This is a 44 caliber garden gun built to shoot a 44 caliber shot cartridge. This cartridge was simply a 44-40 AKA 44 WCF loaded with a paper shot capsule instead of a bullet. This gun also shot a single round ball loaded in a 44 WCF case. These were called game getter loads. I have always wondered but never knew if you could shoot a 44WCF regular rifle or handgun cartridge in one of these garden guns.

RJay

It was the 44XL, considered the Mother to the .410, in fact after the advent of the .410 many of the H&R XL's were bored out to accept the 2 1/2 inch .410 cartridge. Alas, it would chamber and fire a regular .44 cartridge which resulted in the used to be common nick name ," Old one eye ":)