Clue me in.

Quick couple question.
Is the Winchester Triple 777 primer the same as a shot shell Magnum primer?

What is the difference between a normal shot shells primer & a Triple 777s construction?
thanks

FrontierGander

no, the 777 primer is a very cool primer that creates less heat and helps tame the crud ring that synthetic powders make when using a hot primer. CCI 209 Magnums are the hottest, along with the Federal 209A. Those 2 primers are great to use with Blackhorn209.

shortwave

So you want to use a magnum primer with Black Horn.

Correct. A hotter magnum or 209 shotshell primer should be used with BH209

From Blackhorn 209 site:

We do not recommend any of the 209 primers designated for muzzleloaders (Winchester Triple 7, CCI MZL, Federal Fusion, or Remington Kleanbore). These primers are all weaker than standard shotshell 209 primers and do not provide adequate ignition for Blackhorn 209 – especially when used in a poorly designed breech plug system

All other subs Triple 777 primers are preferred. Is that correct?

Any other subs that do not require a magnum primer can be shot with the T 7 muzzle loading primers if the T 7 primer is your choice of ML primer.

Last edited:
So as said each sub powder has a preferenced primer. Black Horn likes 209 magnums. {apparently the hotter the better.} Pyrodex may prefer the less hotter Tripple 777s. Alliants Black MZ may again prefer something even less hotter like Rem Klean Bores. Well then I guess its best to check a Sub powders web site for the proper primer so there is no mistaking using something I shouldn't. I certainly didn't think there was that much difference between primers. Well this certainly has been educational. thanks guys.

BirchOrr

209's

After the introduction of 209 primers for BP and some substitutes, it was discovered that the standard 209 shotgun primers were a bit too hot. When the primer went off in the millisecond delay before powder ignition, the 209 actually pushed the powder/pellets/sabot ahead in the barrel slightly. This caused several problems including the dreaded crud ring not to mention the airspace.

The 777 209's are not as hot designed to work with most powders and pellets except for BH209as mentioned above.

Birch

Oh so that's how that crud ring came about. {Gas expansion into its charge before ignition.} Here I always thought it was a inlines achilles heel. Hearing so many inline fellows complain about it's happening.

BirchOrr

Yes sir...

...S. S. That is what causes it.

I know some here don't like in-lines and that's fine. They are a different animal and take time and effort to learn. Most in-lines are bought by slug barrel shot gunners to extend their season. They don't know the first thing about BP. They "listen to a buddy" or the salesperson at Wal-Mart and get the wrong sabots/pellets/powder/primers. They also don't read the manufacturers recommendations and wonder why they have problems.

C&B rifles and in-lines are very different and require some learning. (I know I'm preachin to the choir here). Depending on what you want to do, an in-line is capable of shooting great distance. Obviously, practicing out to long distance is a requirement. I've taken many a deer past 200 yards. Ultimate firearms here in Okemos Michigan http://ultimatefirearms.com/ makes an in-line that is accurate out to 500 yds. Uses 200 gr of T7 pellets and is custom built from a Remington 700 platform. It also uses a .45 cal. magnum pistol case and primer. This primer is so hot the powder is completely burned in the first 8 inches of the barrel. This is a totally different concept. These guys really know what they are doing. These rifles are used mainly by guys hunting Elk and other big game shooting long distances. These rifles (and their shooters) have won the national championship at Friendship every year since they started making rifles.

There are some really cool things that can be done with BP but there are some who don't consider it BP at all.

:eek:)

Birch