Clearing malfunctions (problem)

Phoebe

I cannot lock the slide back with my off hand on my XD-9.

Further, I'm not convinced any amount of strength training will really help.

I plan to get an extended slide stop installed, which may help go from, "not possible", to simply, "really hard." But I can barely rack it back with my off hand, let alone lock it back.

I've asked this question elsewhere, but am curious what answers I might find here.

My choices seem to be:

- new gun (there is a .45 1911 I'm lusting over, but I'd have to save my pennies!! On the cheaper side, anything giving me trouble on the XD, seems to b a non-issue on the Glock platform.)

- lighter spring as a temp measure. Downside? Greater likelihood of malfunctions. Not sure how much trade off there is.

- just hope and pray I never have a double chamber malfunction and figure some days are just not my day

- figure out how to change, "not possible" to "can" without changing the spring (maybe the ESS??)

Has anyone dealt with this issue? I confess that i'm inclined to temp-swap out the spring, despite the possible down side.

spacecoast

A good cleaning of the slide and slide rails on the frame with a toothbrush and gun solvent, followed by a drop of oil on each side, made the slide on my new P95 a lot less sticky and both easier to rack and to position for disassembly. Try that first (if you haven't already) before deciding to do anything with the gun. A good cleaning before first use (if it's new or in general) will also help prevent FTF issues at the range.

Last edited:

Alleykat

You won't risk more malfunctions with a lighter spring. The heavier spring is much more sensitive to limpwristing than would be the lighter spring.

Sevens

I disagree. A lighter spring may introduce feeding malfunctions as the pistol strips the next round from the magazine.

I plan to get an extended slide stop installed, which may help go from, "not possible", to simply, "really hard." But I can barely rack it back with my off hand, let alone lock it back.
Two things appear to be at work... one is your physical reach to the slide stop. Not having an XD, I can't grab one and take a look at it, but if your physical reach is such that you simply cannot reach it, maybe the extended WILL help, maybe not, I can't answer.

The second part is that you can barely rack it-- and this will improve the more that you do it. Repetition and muscle memory will improve your ability to rack the slide.

It won't be easy and it won't be fun practice, but you should be able to see yourself improving if you practice. Daily practice, no ammo in the room, in front of the TV, even.

Alleykat

Sevens:
I disagree. A lighter spring may introduce feeding malfunctions as the pistol strips the next round from the magazine.

Sounds like speculation, to me, not based on any actual experience. Have you actually tried lighter springs in semi-auto pistols? Going to a lighter spring will increase slide speed and certainly won't cause problems stripping the next round from the magazine. Lots of folks use lighter-than-standard springs in their semi-autos, particularly those who compete.

Sevens

I've gone to heavier springs, not lighter ones. But I suppose I -HAVE- gone to lighter and more worn springs, as I've put them back in, too. Then changed 'em back again.

There's a LOT of speculation that goes in making these pistols run.