Clear something up for me

I was recently in a sporting goods store the other day (I live in WVa). There was a sign on the door that said, "All Firearms Must Be Checked Upon Entry." We laughed that off as my friend was carrying but I was not at the time. We undertand that they were referring to guns being brought in for repairs/returns/ect. He then told me that he understood that you can only get in trouble with the law in a store if the store employees discover you have a gun, ask you to leave, and then you refuse. Just want to know if this is the concesus.

skeeter

You can get in trouble in any type of store if the owner asks you to leave and you don't. It is then trespassing... not good.

scorpion_tyr

I'm guessing it varies from state to state, but from what I've seen as long as their is some form of writing or sign on or around the door like the one you've mentioned above then it is illegal to CC in. Even if it's not illegal most gun store workers down here in the south have their own personal weapon in a holster on their side. I would not want to bend or lean over the wrong way and have that clerk notice I was carrying despite the sign on his door. That might lead him to believing that I was up to no good. And that might lead to me looking at the wrong side of the sights. I would say for the safety of everyone to just obey the signs.

alloy

i try to stay on the good side of the local gun shops, they help me out here and there. however they want to run their store is fine with me.

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
Here in Idaho, Both Sportsmans Wharehouse and Cabelas have signs like the OP. However, they do refer to guns being brought in for repair, and in the case of Cabelas, for trade. They do not refer to guns being openly carried or properly concealed.

The policy of Wal-Mart appears to be all over the place.

It is the policy of Cabelas (made at the National Corporate level) to adhere to State law concerning citizen carry. The Corporate policy of SW is less clear (but only as regards open carry).

That said, if you are asked to leave, then simply leave. Whatever protest you might wish to make, should be done at the Corporate level, or after you have disarmed and returned to talk to the manager (if that was the reason you were asked to leave).

Having said that, in lieu of any signage, concealed means concealed.

PSP

Of the stores in my area that have signs of that nature, I've asked specifically what they refer to, and ALL of them are refering to guns brought in for repair or trade/sale. None refer to concealed firearms. It is one last reminder to folks..."unload it if you want me to look at it". If I worked in a gun store, I'd do the same thing.

Keltyke

as long as their is some form of writing or sign on or around the door like the one you've mentioned above then it is illegal to CC in.

In SC, signs prohibiting CC must be a specific size, wording, color, and placement to be legal.

When a sign says "Guns must be checked", I assume (perhaps wrongly) that it means guns brought in for fitting a holster or case or for repair, etc.

Sevens

He then told me that he understood that you can only get in trouble with the law in a store if the store employees discover you have a gun, ask you to leave, and then you refuse. Just want to know if this is the concesus.
The consensus? The consensus in here is that all gun laws are ignorant and only law breakers need to be restricted. But the consensus will NOT keep you out of jail if you break the law.

There are 47 of the 50 U.S. states where you must be licensed to carry concealed. In Vermont, you can carry concealed without a license. In Illinois and Wisconsin, normal law-abiding citizens are forbidden from carrying concealed.

Because of this, any U.S. citizen in this country that is licensed to carry concealed simply has to know that state laws are very specific about where you can and cannot carry, where the authority lies and the punishments you can receive for breaking the rules.

There are some states where a store that invites the public in can offer signage prohibiting concealed carry, but the law doesn't recognize them. In other states (like the one I live in), you can get in a heap of trouble if you elect to carry somewhere that has affixed the proper signage telling you that you can't.

If you are legally licensed to carry concealed then you would be wise to learn about the laws that apply to you. If you don't, you could end up in jail and never legally be allowed to own any firearm ever again. Ignorance is not a viable defense.

thanks

I appreciate the information. Around WV, as long as you don't cause trouble and make a scene, OC or CCing, youre not going to have a problem. Thanks for the feedback.

bikerbill

In Texas, scorpion, the law states clearly the size and wording of any sign denying you the right to carry in that establishment. Any sign that doesn't meet the legal requirement is simply the owner's request and has no legal standing. However, refusing to leave if the clerk or owner spots your weapon is another story and you can be arrested for trespassing.

scorpion_tyr

Thanks, I knew the legalities for TX and LA, but state laws vary. Took my CC through Florida. Great state... don't even have to ever go there to get their CC.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I wouldn't mention a CC as it is CC thus covert. But if i tote in a weapon in my hand it will be unloaded and open action. No place is better guarded than a gun shop and there is no rule that says no one in there may be a bit edgy.
But on the opposite side of the coin I was unhappy when I ask to see a gun from the case or rack and the employee simply hands it to me assuming it is still empty. I know I am not going to continue to inspect it with out looking at an empty chamber But I can't say the same for some of these other potential customers...
Brent