Cleaning your gun

curious

Can anyone tell me about some good gun cleaning solvents. I totally strip and clean my gun after every use and I am wondering if there is any thing faster and BETTER. I use outers it does the job but takes alot of elbow grease.

thanks
curious

Tackleberry

Solvents ......

Hoppes 9 it works great. breaks the crap down but you have to remember to clear it thouroughly as it evaporates.(thus it could leave a build up that you had gathered.

There one other one I've used for years .."Breakfree" it's solvent/oil combinination.

------------------
Be Safe, Be Trained

Life is tough...it's alot tougher if you don't know how to shoot.

TheOtherMikey

You need a bottle of Mpro 70 and a Bore Snake in your favorite gauge. Spray the Bore Snake with the solvent around the brass bristles and about 5 inches below. One pull through should leave your bores looking shiney and bright. Regards, Mikey.

PS: The MPro is non-toxic. It washes out when you wind up the dirty bore snake, wrap around the cord and throw it into your washing machine. Air dry Bore Snakes.

[This message has been edited by TheOtherMikey (edited March 28, 2000).]

jcoyoung

I mainly use Hoppes #9 and maybe some Breakfree CLP.

For my first step in cleaning my shotgun, I push a loose wet patch through the barrel so that the inside gets a good THICK coating of Hoppes #9. I'll let it sit this way for about 10 minutes and then run a bronze brush through. If all goes well, the Hoppes will have turned the plastic wad coating into mush and the brush will remove the gunk. This method has worked great for my chrome lined Beretta barrel, so I'm not sure how well this will work with plain barrels.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Breakfree is a great lube, but not the best rust preventative, IMO. I use Hoppe's on a brass brush in the bore, and on an old toothbrush on various parts.Once the bore is drynclean, a wool mop and oil goes through it,and an oily patch gets wiped over the outside. Breakfree goes onto moving parts like action bars and the trigger group.