Cleaning tips?

airpw

just got my very first Pistol. Walther P99 9mm.

I just got back from the Range having shot 50 rounds through it. It feels good and shoots nice.

I've cleaned the barrel according to the instructions. Wipe down the pistol. Is there anything else I need to do? lube anything? I have the basic cleaning kit from Kleen Bore.

Any sugestion (especially from fellow Walther owners) is extremely welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

racegunner

You don't need to clean your gun every time you shoot it, especially after only 50 rds and if you are going back to the range soon. Don't over oil it either, it will attract more crud. Just check the bore each time you go to the range to make sure there are no obstructions. I clean mine every 500-1000 rds. but I shoot often. I also use a lube that doesn't evaporate. Some of the cleaner/lube combos seem to evaporate after the barrel heats up. Lube the bore for storage, fire through a dry bore only.

A dirty gun means it fired more recently than it was stripped & reassembled.

Zak Smith

I hate labor, so..

For my semi-autos, the easiest method I have found to clean all the gunk out of the fiddly internals is to use BreakFree PowderBlast. If you can't find it at a local gun shop, you can order it online at http://www.ajaxgrips.com .

This is also the easiest method I have found to clean out the inside of my AR-15, and its bolt.

Lastly, I lube with CLP.

-z