Cleaning the barrel of a Marlin 60

OnTheFly

I've got a Marlin 60 that I have disassembled several times. I've taken the stock of and removed the bolt/spring, etc. However the receiver stays attached to the barrel (with a pin I believe). I know I am not supposed to clean the barrel from the muzzle end, but I would have to nearly bend the brass cleaning rod to get it in via the receiver end.

How should I do this? Should I remove the pin? Should I get a bore snake or flexible cleaning rod?

Any reasonable suggestions would be appreciated.
Fly

kingudaroad

Why can't you clean it from the muzzle end? Just use one of those cone things to protect the crown. They are sometimes sold with the cleaning rod.

Mike U.

+1 on the Boresnake. It's the best way I've found for those guns you can't clean from the chamber end.
There is supposed to be a product like Boresnake that someone on the forum was saying is stronger than the Boresnake. Maybe someone who remembers the name of that product will chime in. I'd like to see it again so I can write it down this time. DUH! :(

Gettin' old really ain't for sissies.

tomh1426

I had a patch worm but ended up with a otis kit , Its real nice.
I heard of people drilling holes in the back of the reciever just so they can put a rod down it quick easy.
It was a 10/22 benchrest thing , I would not recomend it.
I clean my 60 every time I shoot it except for the barrel , it seems to shoot better with some lead in the barrel.
My friend uses a piece of weed wacker string , I always make fun of him for being cheap but it works.

Mal H

Staff
OnTheFly - people have been cleaning rifles from the muzzle end for centuries. If you don't use one of the good suggestions here (boresnake, flexible line, etc.) go ahead and clean it from the muzzle. That is much better on the rifle overall than trying to force a cleaning rod into the breech end of the barrel.

Be careful and do not use a steel rod, use brass like you have, preferably coated, or aluminum as a last resort. The time you are going to damage the muzzle is most often when you insert the jag or brush into the muzzle. Take it slow and do not just jam it in. After the jag is in the bore, how does the muzzle know which end you inserted the rod from?

One other tip - it isn't necessary to scrub a .22 bore clean each and every time you shoot it with today's ammo. That is assuming you use a good brand of ammo with lube on the bullets (even the copper wash on some .22's is a good lubricant.)

Some shooters practically never clean the barrel of a .22. They do clean out the gunk in the chamber and on the breech face, etc. That is not true of almost all other calibers.

dionysusigma

Some shooters practically never clean the barrel of a .22. They do clean out the gunk in the chamber and on the breech face, etc. That is not true of almost all other calibers.
*raises hand meekly*

The entire time I had my Marlin 60, I never cleaned the bore. Cleaned the entire mechanism (sprayable cleaners, keyboard duster cans, and CLP helped prevent me from disassembling the action once removed from the receiver :eek: ) and bolt every time, but never the bore. Thing always shot accurately and reliably with good ammo, too (read: NOT Remington Golden Bullet).

OnTheFly

Thanks all. :) I was a little concerned about cleaning from the muzzle end because...well...I know the crown is very important and I'm kind of a klutz . Maybe that's not the right description for me, but the old adage of "if it can go wrong...it will" definitely applies to me. :rolleyes:

Thanks again,
Fly