Cleaning stuff question.

Andrewh

Some one mentioned either a cleaner, or a coating you can put on the front of barrels, and cylinders to make it easier to clean them up. The black gunk that accumulates and you have to scrub for a while normally, someone said it just wipes off if you use this stuff.
Does anyone remember what it was?

RANash

I use Tetra gun oil for this very purpose. It's a Teflon-based product. I clean the bore in the standard way, then coat a patch with Tetra and run through twice, then run a dry patch through twice. When I clean the next time, it's easier.

Some people will tell you that using a Teflon product on your bore will hurt accuracy, but that's never been my experience.

I also like the Tetra grease for greasing all the metal-to-metal spots. You rub it on, then wipe it off. Works great.

YMMV,

Rich

Kentucky Rifle

Andrewh...

I just brought home a new snub. It was pretty clean right out of the box. However, on the front of the stainless cylinder, there was that black residue from the factory testing. I used a Birchwood Casey cloth and the black came right off. Is that what you meant?

KR

Andrewh

Kentucky Rifle- Yeah that black stuff on the end is what I mean. It also gets on the barrel of my comped gun.

Jeeper- One is nickel, the other stainless, so I guess it isn't a problem.

Thanks I guess I will look for both and see.

RANash- I don't know about inside the barrel either, but if the others don't pan out, I will give it a try on the cylider face.

Bob C

Getting ALL the stuff off of the front of the cylinder seems a waste of time to me. For removing almost all of it, and for general cleaning, I prefer Ballistoil to anything else I've tried.

Smells funky, but it works, and it is very environmentally friendly.

RANash

Wow, I completely misunderstood the question. But now I get it. You're talking about a revolver, right?

However, I still think that treating the surface with Tetra grease when it's clean would make cleaning easier next time. It sounds lke the other guys have you covered pretty well, however.

Kentucky Rifle

Andrewh...

The B-C is a cloth. It feels a little wet, but not much. You can cut off a little about the size of a patch and use it as one. Just put it on a rod and run it down the barrel or cylinder. It's an inexpensive item also. I forgot the exact price, but it was under $5.00 at a gun shop. It took off every bit of the black stuff in about two minutes.

Kentucky Rifle

Ronin 99

Carter's Fouling Preventative & Compensator Spray available at Dillons 1 (800) 223-4570 catalog # A45-14995
Ronin

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
An old stainless revolver trick is to spray the front of the cylinder with Pamtm cooking spray before you go shooting. Really makes the cylinder face clean up easier.

Andrewh

Actually, Ronin 99 seems to be the stuff I remember now.
Though the cloth sounds like a better way to go.

Tamara- A little freaky sounding to have cooking stuff in my gun bag. But if the cloth doesn't do it, I might start giving it a try. How does it react to your holsters? Or is just like gun oil and soak in? I guess I always looked at it as a butter substitue, not an oil in general.

Carbon_15

I know its a bit more expensive than oil, but a perminate solution is to have the front of the cylinder polished. The biggest reason the fouling is so hard to get off the end of the cylinder is that its the end grain and usualy isnt finished as smooth as the rest of the gun. You dont have to get it polished to a mirror shean, just polished smooth and finished to match the gun. On my Ruger Vaquero it cost about $40. Not bad for never having to SCRUB the cylinder again.
Tamaras trick works! I have been using it on IPSC style compensators for years. Just spray it on, let it sit for a while and whip off the excess. dont goop it on and let it stay like you lubing the choke on a lawnmower.

Attachments

• do-u-feel-lucky2.jpg
    do-u-feel-lucky2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 72

-Yo-

Pam?

I've tried rubbing militech or rem oil on the cylinder face with limited success. It still takes some scrubbing with the Lead Away cloths. Those things work great however. Essential for any Stainless revolver shooter.

I'll have to try the Pam trick. Anybody tried plain old Vaseline. Seems like it would stay put and you wouldn't have the overspray problem.

Yo

bountyh

The best thing for cleaning SS revolvers is automotive chrome polish. The black stuff on the end of the cylinder will come off easily with a toothbrush. It also works great on bores and cylinder holes with a nylon bore brush.. Costs about $1.80 at Pep Boys.

Shake

I use JB's with a toothbrush on the cylinder face. Light scrubbing is all that is needed with it. I only do this periodically, not every time I clean.

Shake