Cleaning Shotgun barrel

iudoug

What do you guys use to "cut" the fouling in a barrel when you clean it?Just seems some of the stuff I try works, but not well and have to use a brush alot to clean it. Just wondering if there is a magic potion out there I am not aware of. :) Thanks in advance

oneounceload

Cheap basic brake cleaner from wally world will cut through everything inside the barrel - do NOT get it on the stock or plastic, though and then remember to re-lube everything

zippy13

Yep, and 1-oz's warning is real. I used spray brake cleaner on my reloading press and it attacked the plastic parts.

mete

My shotguns have a chrome plated bore. Doesn't get nearly as dirty and much easier to clean without any special chemicals .I also use a 'tornado brush' !

zippy13

My shotgun's owner's manual specifically warns against using a steel Tornado-style brush. But, I don't have chrome barrels. IMHO, they just let the maker spend less time polishing the bore. Most times a soft fuzzy stick is sufficient for my barrels. When I use a brush it isn't steel.

BigJimP

I use Shooters Choice ... spray shotgun and choke tube cleaner...and a standard bore brush / then follow with patches and a wooly barrel brush.

A tooth brush - to knock the crud out of the porting holes .../ a little light oil on a patch when I'm done ....

and its clean enough to "lick" ...

oneounceload

A tooth brush - to knock the crud out of the porting holes .../ a little light oil on a patch when I'm done ....

and its clean enough to "lick" ...

You CLEAN those ports?? I'm hoping mine will get filled up and STAY filled up to cut down the noise......:D

Seriously, Jim - oyu might want to look into those nylon dental type pick - I have s.s. actual dental ones, but I can get into some nooks and crannies I wouldn't use a toothpick on......

BigJimP

Yes, I clean those holes out ...or they won't work ...:D

Anybody standing that close to my barrel --- deserves the noise ..../or a bruise up side the head ....

the old style "pipe cleaners" work pretty well too ...not the new "poly" kind ..