Cleaning Rod that fits Hoppe accessories for pistol cleaning kit

Lunker

I have the Hoppe pistol cleaning kit. I don't want to buy another set of acessoriy tips for a rile cleaning rod. Are there any rifle cleaning rods out there that will fit the pistol tip accessories? Do I need a Hoppe rifle rod? Thanks

Dfariswheel

Most American made cleaning gear has the same 8-32thead size.
You can screw rifle or pistol tips and brushes on rifle and pistol rods.
Hoppe's use the standard 8-32 thread size so most any tips and brushes will fit.

Exceptions are military rods and tips, and some rods like many Dewey rods that use a different thread.

johnbt

Not to confuse things, but Dewey sells adapters if you ever need them at some point for their rods or oddball sizes on other rods. I've used a few.

www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25902/Product/DEWEY_ROD_ADAPTERS

17A, 5-40 male/8-32 female converts .17 cal. Dewey rods to accept 8-32 rimfire accessories.
SMBA, (.22-.26 cal.) adapters, and LGBA, (.27 cal. and up) adapters convert male end on Coated Rods to 8-32 female thread for use with all standard 8-32 accessories.
LGBP, female/female, converts 12-28, male thread, Dewey .50 BMG and Large Bore rods to accept standard 10-32 blackpowder accessories.
SBA, female/female, lets 30C series Coated Rods accept 5⁄16"-27 accessories.
LGPH allows .30 cal. Parker-Hale rod to accept 8-32 brushes.
35A, male/female, lets 10-32 male Dewey Big Bore rods accept 8-32 female brushes.
22A, male/male, 8-32 to 8-36 for .22 CF rods, adapts 8-32, female thread, civilian rods to accept 8-36 Dewey coated rod jags.
22SA, male/female, adapts 8-32 rods to use 5/16"-27 bore mops and brushes.
22M, male/female, adapts 8-32 female rods to 8-36 male, military, brushes.
22SA, male/female adapts 8-32 rods to use Brownells Hoppes and Outers 5⁄16" -27 brushes.
30A, male/male, converts 8-32 female rods to accept Dewey 12-28 female coated rod jags, .270 cal. and larger.

SPECS: Machined brass. 22A, 22M, and 30A sold as 2-Pak.

Catalog page 268, 266

Lunker

I had bought a Tetra cleaning rod and found out the hard way that it was not compatible with my Hoppe attachments.

johnbt

Well there you go, you do need an attachment. I don't know which one though. A phone call to Tetra should get the right size and clear it up.

John

johnbt

I don't know which rod you bought, but thought I'd toss this out. John

www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=79858

"Tetra 36 Inch .17 To .204 Caliber Cleaning Rod

ProSmith Universal Pistol 8" Rod - (with 8-32 Standard Adapter Included) Made from 5/32" stainless steel "

"ProSmith rifle rods will effectively clean all firearms and are available for .22 caliber (5/32") and larger (3/16") barrels. ProSmith 8-32 male thread adaptors are included as standard equipment with all .22 caliber rods and are available as an accessory so that most commonly available brushes and other cleaning tools may be used. "