Cleaning rod preferences?

Kraziken

I bought my cleaning kit a long time ago (almost 20 years?).
Mine is currently metal, but I'm considering replacing it with a nylon system. Inspecting my barrels I don't see any extra wear, but it seems to make more sense.

Should I bother replacing my metal rods, or is it unnecessary worry?

ConfuseUs

The best cleaning rods are made out of steel AFAIK.

Aluminum rods oxidize on the surface, and aluminum oxide is an abrasive, definitely not a good thing in a rifle barrel. If you have an aluminum rod, trash it and get a different one.

Brass rods are soft, which seems like a good idea, but grit can get embedded in the rod and scratch rifle barrels. Not a problem if you keep the rod clean and inspect it regularly for embedded grit, but dropping a brass rod in the dirt virtually guarantees that it is ruined. The same argument may apply to plastic coated rods as well. I do know that the plastic coating can strip off of the plastic coated rods when they get old.

Derius_T

Got a nice stainless rod and brushes for the big, tough cleans, but for normal, quick cleaning, a rope type bore snake is awesome.

sholling

To me taking a chance on a $500 rifle's barrel with a $5 cleaning kit makes zero sense. I use Lucas bore guides on all of my bolt actions rifles. They aren't cheap but you get what you pay for. I use Dewey bore guides on all of my semiauto rifles and on my pistols. Dewey also makes outstanding nylon coated cleaning rods, but I really prefer Tipton Carbon fiber rods from MidwayUSA.

Ruger4570

I can see the sense in using a rod that has minimal chances of harming the bore. I know in the Army I cleaned my M-14 from the muzzle with a sectioned steel rod. I wonder how much damage I may have done.
As far as cleaning from the breech as in bolt guns, I do not get overally anal as the brush and patch pretty much center them selves and with a one peice rod. I suspect the chances of actually hitting the rifling and in reality damagining it is pretty remote. That said, I too have gone to a carbon fiber rod, it just makes some amount of sence to be as careful as posible. If I couldn't afford the price of a carbon fiber I sure as hell would use a stainless or any kind of solid rod and not expect to harm my barrel with normal care.
I really don't know what the problem actually is with an aluminum or brass rod..I guess if you drag it through the kids sand box and claen your gun there is a "chance" you could in fact put a scratch on the barrel, that is if the rod actually hit the bore. I have a Gradiant borescope and if you could see the inside of most bores, a fine scratch, if there, wouldn't bother anyone. You ought to see the leade of most rifles that have had many rounds down the barrel. I have seen brick paved roads that look smoother.
Cleaning from the muzzle really does dictate some sort of bore protection device, regardless of brand as they all work well, some better than others.
To me, we all tend to get caught up in the advertising hype and disregard common sense at times. How many times would you have to clean your rifle with your grit and trash embedded aluminum rod before accuracy was totally shot? You ever wipe the rod off prior to cleaning?
Like I said, we tend to get caught up in someone coming up with reasons we should buy their product because what you have will destroy your gun... I really doubt anyone ever cleans a gun enough to wear out a barrel.

ConfuseUs

I really don't know what the problem actually is with an aluminum or brass rod..I guess if you drag it through the kids sand box and claen your gun there is a "chance" you could in fact put a scratch on the barrel, that is if the rod actually hit the bore.

Well, the problem with aluminum rods is that no matter what they get surface oxidation and that oxide is the same stuff they use to make sandpaper! Granted it's in bigger chunks on the sandpaper, but the exposed (oxidized) surface of an aluminum rod is harder than barrel steel even though the rod itself is much softer.

In my earlier post I mentioned that brass is OK as long as it doesn't get grit embedded in it.

stevelyn

I just got a Tipton carbon fiber rod for my .17HMR. All I can say is WOW!

This thing is overly engineered. I'm getting another for the rest of my guns.