cleaning rod and jags for 22lr

L. Boscoe

I have a universal rod that I use on my centerfire pistols, no prob.
It just barely fits into my 22 Ruger, and I worry about it being too
tight a fit. A search on Amazon was not rewarding. Surely there
exists a smaller diameter rod for 22 pistols?:cool:

jpx2rk

I have used a Pro-shot pistol length rod on my 22lr contender barrels with no issues. Could also use a "patch-worm" type pull thru device if that would ease your mind.

I have an Outers .22 cleaning kit. The rod and the jag base are exactly the same OD as the rods and jags for my centerfire kits. The rods are aluminum and the jags are either plastic or brass, both of which are softer than the steel used for gun barrels, so I've never worried about it too much.

Mike38

People use jags / brushes on .22LR pistol bores? I push a patch through with a piece of weedeater string about every 2-3000 rounds or so. Seriously. I shoot at least 200 rounds a month in my target pistols, and haven't even looked at the bore yet this year. Might get around to it early next year, might not?

ChimpMunk20

I use dewy 20 cal rod on my annie and cz due to tight bores. I use 20 cal jag for looser fit to apply solvent with patches. I have a dewy adapter to use 22 cal.jag for tighter fit to clean the bore with patches . I then use 22 cal pistol brush so it doesn't cause the rod to flex. if you go to dewy's website they have all this type info. I also find the dewy patches to work good.

bedbugbilly

Last I knew, you could buy a 22 cleaning rod at just about any place that sold shooting supplies - although most 22 cleaning jzgs seem to be cheapie injected molded plastic these days. I clean mine if I'm not going to shoot them for a while - more of a habit than a necessity IMHO. I'm still using the 3 piece aluminum 22 rod that I bought 60+ years ago. For pistols, I just use the first section with the handle - jags, brush, etc. screw right in to the end and I still use the aluminum jag that came with it.

Reloadron

Personally I like Dewey cleaning rods, jags and loops which come in any diameter you could want. I prefer brass over plastic for jags and loops. Dewey and a few others manufacture good top of the line stuff. That or just buy an inexpensive aluminum kit. My Dewey rods work fine on all of my .22 caliber handguns.

Ron

Bart B.

Competitive 22 rimfire shooters producing the best scores give their barrels a good cleaning with bronze brushes, bore cleaner and patches every few dozen shots.

A good rimfire barrel gives about 30,000 rounds of best accuracy then can be set back a couple inches or replaced.