Cleaning Rifle scopes

Wallyl

Perhaps I may be the last to know....I shoot a lot of cast bullet loads in my CF rifles (when I can find primers). I try to keep my rifle scope optics clean and use a brush to do so. However the objective (front lense) will get a film on it from bullet lube. Using a glass cleaner and tissue paper does not work well to remove it; it just smears it up. I recently tried a clean microfiber cloth; I sprayed the glass cleaner on it and carerfully rubbed it on the lense..lightly polishing ---it cleaned it perfectly...sparkling clean. I have found it best to clean the front lense often, to avoid any appreciable buildup of the bullet lube on it.

BornFighting88

There is a spray can of this stuff called Invisible Glass by Stoner. Sold at auto parts stores. I use it on my safety glasses at work. Nothing compares. Nothing.

I even used it on my scopes. I don’t have the filming issue, but if it rains or snows or whatever during a day on a hunt, the objective lens suddenly looks like a drop of oil was dripped into a glass of water.

Used to use Windex, but it was a “bandaid”.

You know what else I have had great luck with, is going on like MSC Direct website and picking up a box of those pre-moistened wipes by Pro-Safe. It evaporates after application. I use it on both ends of my glass. Poor deer don’t stand a chance.

jpx2rk

I've used plain ol rubbing alcohol as it dries quickly, and doesn't streak much. I just then remove any streaks with a microfiber towel. The cloths that come with many scopes just smear any "film" around, and don't clean IMO.

Bob Willman

I'm not sure about scopes, but the best way to clean eyeglasses is with Dawn dish soap. Wet the lenses with warm water and apply a little Dawn to each surface. Spread with a finger. Rinse Dawn off your finger very very thorougly. When you think it is off rinse again. Dawn is very tenacious. Rinse lenses under running water while wiping with your finger. Again when you think the Dawn is gone, rinse some more. Wipe lenses with a clean cotton cloth.

Bob
WB8NQW

iosteyee

+1 for Bob. A watered down solution of dawn should remove the "lube" film. Watered down in order to be as gentle on lens coating as possible.

Shadow9mm

my eye dr. advised me not to use windex, as that was one of the fastest way to remove the anti glare coatings I put on it. for my scopes, I generally just use eye glass cleaner in a small spritzer bottle, or invisible glass spray from my automotive kit.

WmMunny

If lenses on expensive scopes are multicoated like good camera lenses are, I'd be concerned about the effect of most of the above-mentioned potions on the coatings.

Photo equipment dealers sell purpose-formulated lens cleaning solutions. And BTW, they are always applied to a lens cleaning cloth or tissue-- never directly onto the glass.

If I had an expensive scope (I don't any more), I'd start by asking the scope manufacturer what they recommend.

FITASC

After getting it cleaned, maybe invest in a clear protective lens cover like we used to used on expensive 35mm cameras - easier to take that off to clean

Unkl Chuck

If your soft micro fiber cloth is smearing, wash it with blue(duck) Dawn, rinse thoroughly and dry. Zeiss lens wipes are good. If you can find a real camera shop, they'll fix you up on lens cleaner.
And I still put a clear filter on my camera lenses. Scopes are often an 'odd' filter size or not even threaded. If the OP can find one that fits, that is the best solution.