Cleaning/refreshing white dot sights

Marty8613

Own of my autos white dots sites are getting a bit dingy and hard to see. How do you folks clean/refresh/repaint these? I hate to scrub on these with the same cleaning solutions as the rest of the gun. These are most definitely simply painted into an indention.

And no, I do not want to upgrade/replace the sites.

Is it as easy as a soft toothbrush or something, until you have to repaint?

Thanks!

madmo44mag

I clean mine with a well worn tooth brush and when need be re-paint with a enamel paint.
They clean up easy with just a little soap and water.

Marty8613

Worked great

That worked great! Now I'll let you shoot it at your next gathering.

Thanks Mo.

My rear sight does not appear to be painted, it looks more like some sort of rubber in laid. This pistol has the half square outline at the rear.

carguychris

I clean mine with a well worn tooth brush and when need be re-paint with a enamel paint.
In lieu of the toothbrush, I suggest Q-Tip "Precision Tips". These are similar to standard Q-Tips, but are molded into a finely pointed shape. They're also great for cleaning extractors, those narrow channels under the slide, and the tiny crevasses in the trigger mechanism. After you use these for a while, you'll never want to go back to the standard Q-Tip. :D

FWIW I've never seen them at a Wal-Mart, but Target and various pharmacies carry them. The only downside is that AFAIK they only come in boxes of 170; they don't seem to be available in the giant 600+ blister packs like the standard Q-Tip.

Marty8613

Oh yes they do!

they don't seem to be available in the giant 600+ blister packs like the standard Q-Tip.

They do if you have a Uline account. I have these here in my iPad repair lab. Another great idea

madmo44mag

If you think they are rubber take a toothpick and push on then a little and see if they have some give.
If they do, use an acrylic paint.