Cleaning Plaster dust off guns?

Venom1956

Hey all. Doing some remodeling in another room caused some strain on the plaster and it cracked in the gun room covering alot of stuff in a light dust. Awesome...

Most of it is on the exterior but some long guns were bore up so i suppose some could've potentially got in some of the barrels.

Is this something I need to really concern myself about? Any and all opinions are welcome. Just wanting to get my thoughts out in the open bounce ideas off you guys.

maybe shop vac them off? I just dont wanna ruin any bores

Last edited:

Cheapshooter

Possibly compressed air if you have an air compressor. If not, maybe computer keyboard dust blaster. Just make sure it is compressed gas only with no solvent.

Snyper

A vacuum will work, compressed air will work, brake/carb cleaner will work for the bores.

It's just dust, so basically any cleaning method will work

kilimanjaro

If it's a humid area that dust will cake up, so you need to vacuum and dust the exteriors and of course the floor and all surfaces of the room, including the walls and the electrical outlets. Then clean your guns as normal.

Tony Z

Air compressor set fairly low: don't forget that the compressor (because of motor/pump heat) causes the cmpressed air to have a bit of moisture in it. Also, since the items were in another room, the dust is probably superficial, so a quick blast should do it.

Not a big deal, and one I've dealt with through the years.

Venom1956

Thank you everyone for the fast replies and advice. I really wanted to move everything out of the remodel area but I didn't feel comfortable leaving them all unsecured somewhere else in the house.

I guess they will just need to sit until I am done with the project one or two more days then I'll start cleaning them all the best I can. Hooray!

Still deciding what and how I should clean them with. Eezox is my go to stuff maybe I'll go get some foaming clp for the bores. Really hate cleaning my guns with hot water and soap bit that might be the best option in this case. Ill try and get a picture of the amount of dust on stuff later tonight.

Thanks again keep the advice coming always appreciated. I do have a compressor and shop vac and tools such as that.

Skans

If the dust is on the outside of the gun, I'd use a damp rag to clean it and then wipe WD-40 on it to make sure any moisture from the rag is disbursed. I like to use wax over oil for protection, so I'd probably apply some wax on it after that.

Last edited:

kilimanjaro

Just use your soft vacuum tool to vacuum the gun exteriors, wipe down, then clean interiors with your normal cleaning stuff.

If you have central heat, might consider getting your furnace and ductwork cleaned, that dust gets everywhere.

Venom1956

Ok cleaning begins tonight with any luck... :( Does anyone have any ideas about covering the plaster with something else to keep this crumbling issue to a minimum?

I was thinking maybe some vinyl adhesive tiles or something easy to apply because I am thinking about installing something like this,
http://www.secureittactical.com/ inside the room.

They wouldn't collect moisture like wood they would be very thin so I wouldn't lose much in the way of space opposed to plywood or something?

Does anyone know of alternatives to secureit tactical stuff? Im open to anything.

Paint? Wallpaper? (Especially vinyl "wallpaper")

Plaster shouldn't be crumbling. If it is, there's a problem that should be addressed, not covered up.

Venom1956

it crumbles when stuff is drilled into it to get to the studs. I plan to install something to hold my rifles which i assume will cause alot of crumbling wondering if installing something over it will prevent alot of dust and such.

Looking a pegboard slat wall and that secureit system. So many choices.

Last edited:

pappa

Truth is, stuff is corrosive. And given all the places tiny specs of gypsum could have stuck already with moisture present I doubt air pressure will get it all out. And doesn't sound like you have time to disassemble and clean every single part on all those guns. I'd do it like many shooters of corrosive mil-surp ammo, and many black powder shooters do. Flush out thoroughly with stream of water. Stuff is water soluble, so don't rush it and it all will leave. Don't keep wood stocks in a pool of water of course, but most of us have been caught in the rain with a wood stocked rifle with no ill effect. Then use the air pressure to blow out water thoroughly. Use hot sun (watch the wood on this, not doing from one side or it will warp maybe) or hair dryer to rid of moisture. Use light oil like Marvel Mystery Oil - NOT WD-40 - if necessary. Plain water usually leaves lube though.
Do ONE gun at a time, not letting water stand in any length of time.
Good cleaning and do buy some big yard plastic bags for each gun. Any air movement at all, you'll be doing it again. That fine dust finds every.opening.

Snyper

It's just some dust on the guns.
It's not some hazardous substance.
It's no more "corrosive" than dirt outdoors.
I'd blow or wipe it off and be more careful with them in the future

Snyper

I'm going to have to disagree on this. Gypsum is a LOT more corrosive than just plain dirt.
My point is they weren't buried under a pile of Plaster.
The OP says "light dust"

Everyone is overthinking the issue.
"Corrosive" or not, it just needs to be cleaned off by any normal means.