cleaning out century preservative grease?

Venom1956

What Do you recommend for cleaning this stuff out? I was thinking brake cleaner? I don't wanna use my normal cleaning tools and get them covered in this sticky sludge.

dakota.potts

Things that work very well for me are mineral spirits, denatured alcohol, and brake cleaner for blasting in small areas. All of those are fairly hazardous in different ways so wear appropriate PPE. One possible side effect of brake cleaner exposure is testicular atrophy :eek:

buckhorn_cortez

WD-40. Relatively inexpensive, and cuts through cosmoline / grease and other crud while leaving a light oil that's simple to remove for final cleaning.

Heels357

Starting Fluid. Don't have to worry about painted, plastic, or wood parts getting ruined. It will definitely take all the seasoning of your gun.

peggysue

I've had good luck getting cosmoline on CAI imported surplus guns using kerosene and the sun on a hot day.

Last edited:

P5 Guy

Vapor degreaser with 1,1,1-trichloroethane (TCA) but since the EPA restricts the solvent severely the degreaser of choice has become 'elbow grease'.
Kerosene or a paint thinner like mineral spirits and lots of scrubbing. Use in a well ventilated area.

Taco-XL

A good overnight soak in mineral spirits and a light scrubbing with an old toothbrush and a spray down of brake cleaner (not that "eco friendly" crap either) has worked for me cleaning old milsurps caked in cosmoline. Just keep the brake cleaner away from wood and plastic. Ask me how i know :eek:

James K

Member In Memoriam
Ordinary gasoline works fine and is cheap (compared to other cleaners - we won't see 19 cents a gallon again any time soon). It is flammable, but so are most of the other cleaners recommended and like them, should be used outdoors or in a well ventilated area.

Jim