Cleaning Kit Suggestions

Kreyzhorse

Hey fellows,

Need to buy a new cleaning kit and wondered if there are some better options out there than than the typical Wally World Bass Pro cheapy plastic things.

This kit needs to cover .22lr to 45-70 to 12ga and everything in between. It will see a lot of use.

What are some suggestions you guys have?

Don Fischer

I have a kit something like that. Came as a gift years ago from the Nosler store. I don't use it but do sometime's get out different tip's from it. The cleaning rods are skinny and reallyflimsy feeling. It's supposed to clean from 22 RF to 12ga shotgun. I have a couple rods. One will go from 24cal to 30 cal, handles all my rifles. Then have a larger dia. shotgun rod and a short pistol rod. These days I just buy new tip's as I need them. Actually I just did get a new rod so I have a patch jag on one rod and a brush on the other. save's me from changing tip's! The second rod is really not necessary!

ShootistPRS

I have a solid steel one-piece rod for every gun and buy tips and brushes separately. In the case of cleaning guns, one size does not fit all.

JWT

I have an Otis kit I use for .17hmr. It's easier to pull patches through those small barrels than try to push one through.

For everything else I buy good carbon fiber rods of the appropriate size and then purchase bronze brushes and jags as I need them. I buy bulk patches and purchase spray MPro7 and a good grade of oil. Works for me better than trying to get a decent complete kit.

FITASC

It will see a lot of use.

Then I would NOT go the cheapie wally world plastic stuff. Small diameter rods that work for .22 tend to bend a lot when doing large bores like the 12 gauge. If you use a regular rod, you will need an adapter for the 12 and that tiny thread takes a lot of stress.

Rob228

Get caliber specific rods and buy the brushes, jags and eylets in bulk. I loves Hoppes Elite for most cleaning purposes, but also have a few random oils and copper solvents.