Cleaning GP-100 after shooting 38s

zoomie

I got my new 6" SS GP-100 Friday night and went out and shot first thing Saturday morning. I love it! But... I've heard that 38s leave a ring of gunk that you have to clean off. And I have a ring of something, but I'm not sure if that's what everyone is talking about or if I'm paranoid. Hoppe's 9, a brass brush, and patches don't touch it. Please take a look at the pictures and tell me if I need to do something else to make the cylinder smooth the entire length or if that's supposed to be there. :eek:

Thanks!

Attachments

• GP100cylinder1.jpg
    GP100cylinder1.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 238
  • GP100cylinder2.jpg
    GP100cylinder2.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 195
  • GP100cylinder3.jpg
    GP100cylinder3.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 166

fisherman66

My cylinder looks similar. If the empty shells fall out without any problem then you shouldn't worry about it. If they are binding then you need to clean the rings out real good (soaking in bore cleaner) and afterward you can hone/lap it with a small amout of metal polish on a drill mounted dowel wrapped in a soft cloth. Do not go overboard on on honeing.

epr105

Lead

That is a lead build up. You can use a jag (brass) and a good bore brush with a little solvent and it will clean up nicely. Remember to use a well ventilated area when cleaning firearms. I also use something that can be thrown away after I am done to clean on as a mat (newspapers). They sell lead remover products that work well but are expensive. I like the jag myself it is cheap and only takes a little effort to get it clean. I know some people use dental picks to scrape the lead off either way good luck with that new RUGER :)
EPR105

jclaude

Gp100

Yep, you got the dreaded .38 rings in your 357 chambers!

No big deal. Most everyone who owns and shoots 357s has to deal with it, and it's not that difficult to deal with. Start with a generous application of your favorite bore cleaning solvent (such as Hoppe's #9) & Let it sit for a while. After the solvent has an opportunity to soften up the fowling a little bit, run a few cleaning patches thru the holes and remove whatever portion of it will come out with the patches.

I like to switch over to a bronze bore brush at this point. You may have to make multiple passes with the bronze brush, and don't be shy about adding more solvent to help with the process. This should take care of most, if not, all of it.

If not, the next step is to get the power drill and chuck up that bronze bore brush in it. Lightly wrap the bronze bristles with 4/0 steel wool. Run the bronze brush back and forth thru the various charge holes in the cylinder while spinning it with the drill. A little more bore solvent can't hurt anything, if it seems appropriate. Follow up with fresh patches and solvent and then dry the holes with clean, dry patches.

That should do it.

epr105

What is it with the power tools. I don't think that was in the instruction manual.:eek: Whatever you are comfortable with I guess.
EPR105

Russ5924

Use a good bore cleaner and a .45 size brush the .38 brush is to small to clean anything but the barrel:) It normally take more than one shooting to build up that ring did you try a .357 to see if they fit OK.:)

Pezo

try using a .40 caliber bore brush, perhaps some lead away cloth torn and used as a patch or an empty .357 mag casing. My 3" gp100 is used by my fiancee who only uses .38's and the chamber's look just like yours after a session. As long as the magnum rounds fall in and extract normally it shouldnt be an issue. I can get the chamber's clean enough to allow that by simply using the empty magnum cartride and insering it into the chamber's a few times over. But like you probably feel, I'm gonna try different thing's to get them looking cleaner.

stephen426

Could that cause .357 magnum shells to get stuck if you don't clean it? Personally, I prefer shooting .357 magnum loads instead of .38 specials anyday. I only use my GP100 as a range gun anyways, especially since I have the 6" version. I got it as a hunting backup but have never had the chance to go yet. A good heavy bullet would probably finish off some wild piggies.

Dfariswheel

People make cleaning chambers WAY too complicated.

There's no need for electric drills, chemicals, soaking or anything else.
The best chamber cleaner of them all is a dedicated chamber cleaning brush.

These are stiffer than bore brushes, and work better than over-caliber bore brushes or anything else.

Buy the bronze brushes from Brownell's:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...HAMBER+BRUSHES

Don't use the stainless brushes, these are for ONLY badly neglected chambers where you have nothing to loose.

To use, "screw" the brush into the chamber and give it a turn or two.
Push all the way through, then pull back out.

All fouling will be gone.

Then clean with patches and solvent to remove powder fouling.

fairview mick

ring in the cylinder

I think that ring is a machine mark. I have a Smith 686 and a gp100. I shoot a lot of low power .38's at the range. I've gone as far as taking the cyninders off the gun, soaked them with a very good solvent, then putting a brass bruss on a drill trying to get the mark out. I do believe that is just part of the cylinder!

Mickey

Ichiro

The holes in the cylinder can be totally smooth and still have a visible ring. If you clean the gun regularly with a brush and solvent, I don't think you'll have any problem. I've shot a lot of .38s in my GP and never, ever had a problem putting .357s in afterward.

~Ichiro

Spearl

Get yourself a product called "Hoppe's Bore Gel". Dip a bronz brush in the gel and apply to the bores of your cylinder. Let sit for 5 minutes. Wipe clean with some patches; and she be done!!

PzGren

I usually do not worry about the lead rings. I shoot medium velocity .38 Special LSWC through my .357s and clean the chambers with any old bore brush with cut copper pot scrubbers.

Before the pressure, particularly with factory ammo, would build up to a point that the beefy GP100 cylinder is endangered, a .357 Magnum would not seat well anymore.

I am not sure from your photos, if this is not just the cut of the chamber that shows up as a shadow. The bore of the cylinder is getting smaller - in a funnel shape - after the chamber.

DWARREN123

I have 2 GP-100's that I shoot all types of 38 spl rounds thru, if you can load a 357 mag in the chamber and extract with no problem then I would not worry about it.
When shooting lead bullet cartridges you can get a build up of lead and this needs to be cleaned before shooting mostly or all metal jacketed rounds, especially when going from 38 spl to 357 mag.

Just my opinion.

EBF

Lot's of answers here......I can only add what I use.

Birchwood Casey lead remover cloths (the yellow ones).