Cleaning dirt/sand off empties

Selfdfenz

I have about 100 spent 20 ga shells I'd like to reload at some point but thanks to the fact they are covered with a mix of dust, dirt and various types of sunflower field trash they sure aren't ready for the press without some kind of cleaning. They're basically Win AA type hulls.

How can I clean these cases? I'm tempted to try washing. The search funtion wasn't much help.

Thanks in advance.

S-

Joat

Put them in a "delicates" bag and throw them in the washing machine with work clothes. (I say work clothes because if the residue stains something it won't be the "good clothes") Do not run them through the dryer. Stand them upside down to drain/dry and you're good to go.

Joat

zippy13

Joat said:
Put them in a "delicates" bag and throw them in the washing machine with work clothes. (I say work clothes because if the residue stains something it won't be the "good clothes") Do not run them through the dryer. Stand them upside down to drain/dry and you're good to go.
Exactly!
Don't be in a hurry, give then plenty of time to dry. Primers can trap water for some while. Since you have only 100 hulls, it wouldn't take that long to de-cap them before wash day.

BigJimP

With 100 hulls - just get some 409 or something on a damp cloth - and wipe them down. You'll have more trouble from the water in the hulls from a washing machine than its worth.

If you have 5,000 hulls - I would probably try the washing machine / but not for 100 hulls.