Cleaning cosmoline off M1 stock?

aspen1964

..cleaning cosmoline, grease, & grime is no problem with metal..but is there anything that should be used to clean a stock without affecting the original finish?...

bennnn

I use acetone first, it won't even hurt the glue in laminates (white),, just let it sit for about five minutes and then wipe it off. Next I use denatured alcohol to remave all traces of the acetone,, it will clean the heck out of eveything.. You have to use a little oil after this type of cleaning, but it will look great after...

I bet Hedley's got some advice for you.

Hedley

I'll quote myself from a previous thread, as I'm a bit pressed for time.

Mooreshawnm- I've cleaned up a few dozen or so milsurps for my own, and I found the best way to clean the stocks after an initial wipe down with mineral spirits, is to lay them on the top rack of an oven set on bake at about 200* or the warm setting. Wrap foil around the bottom rack to catch the dripping cosmo. Take it out every 5 minutes or so and wipe it down with spirits. Keep repeating until no more cosmo sweats out. It may not fit in the oven without the door being cracked open, so flip it like you would anything else you cook. I've found this to be the best way to get all the cosmo out. Now keep in mind, it works best for bachelors, as it will smell like a Cummins diesel idled in your kitchen for a few hours. Also, make sure to keep an eye on the stock while it's baking. It will get hot.

Now, I have tried the dishwasher technique with excellent results on junker stocks, but do it at your own risk. I've heard reports of warped stocks and all kinds of wood-mayhem. The combination of steam, a degreasing agent, and the heat does wonders for dents and grease, but it will also raise the grain and the stamped cartouches. But I have created beauties from worthless crap this way.

Being that it's an M1, I wouldn't even think of the old dishwasher trick. I've wrapped stocks in black trash bags and left them on my patio, and that works fine, but without attending to it every 10 mineral spirts-soaked rag, it tends to just sit and marinate in it's own "juices." Is it a CMP Garand, and has it been painted?

hdawson228

I just got a May 1945 M1 and need to remove the excess linseed oil build up and then reapply the BLS. A few dents and gouges but would never think of removing them. They are a part of the rifle's history. :cool:

bennnn

this is a mint, never-fired, probably never-issued M1..so it has high collector value...

If it's that,,, IMHO these days I would leave the cosmoline on it, Seal it up in a storage bag, and wait a few years.... That is if you're interested in the
high collector value..

support_six

I have used the dishwasher method on a number of M1 stocks with no ill effects, to even valuable cartouched stocks! I usually hit the dents with a home type steam generator first, then put the stock in the dishwasher on the "pot & pan" cycle with a full load of dishwashing compound, "heated dry" turned off.

Now, let me say that this method will remove all the cosmo, grease, oil, dirt, and the original blo/tung oil finish. It leaves bare wood like the armory started with 60+ years ago. I use stain and tung oil finish to put them back in service.

I've never had a cartouche lifted, and have another one with an "NFR" cartouche that I'm going to dishwasher tomorrow.

If you want to preserve much of the blo/tung oil crosslinked, polymerized, darkened finish, don't use the dishwasher. If you want a clean slate, it works well and the naysayers just haven't tried it (I still haven't found one who did it properly who said it ruined his stock!).

BUSTER51

a friend of mine puts the stock out in the Arizona sun for a couple of hours and than uses Easy off oven cleaner lets it sit for a half hour than presure wash with hot water .they are clean and ready to oil .they look great when he's done.

dfaugh

a friend of mine puts the stock out in the Arizona sun for a couple of hours and than uses Easy off oven cleaner lets it sit for a half hour than presure wash with hot water

Basically the same method I've used. May take multiple applications to get it all. Don't let it sit so long the oven cleaner "sets up" and turns hard. My results have always been good, w/ no damage to the stock, other than some raising of the grain (which can be knocked down w/ fine steel wool before refinishing).

Hedley

I have used the dishwasher method on a number of M1 stocks with no ill effects, to even valuable cartouched stocks! I usually hit the dents with a home type steam generator first, then put the stock in the dishwasher on the "pot & pan" cycle with a full load of dishwashing compound, "heated dry" turned off.

Now, let me say that this method will remove all the cosmo, grease, oil, dirt, and the original blo/tung oil finish. It leaves bare wood like the armory started with 60+ years ago. I use stain and tung oil finish to put them back in service.

I've never had a cartouche lifted, and have another one with an "NFR" cartouche that I'm going to dishwasher tomorrow.

If you want to preserve much of the blo/tung oil crosslinked, polymerized, darkened finish, don't use the dishwasher. If you want a clean slate, it works well and the naysayers just haven't tried it (I still haven't found one who did it properly who said it ruined his stock!).

I think I just made a new friend...:)

support_six

Hedley, I'd like to take credit but I learned the technique over on battlerifles.

I use the dishwasher method because I've never gotten a stock from the CMP that didn't have dents in it, some more than others. The dishwasher will help lift dents but does take off the old finish -- along with the dirt, cosmo, gun oil, etc. If I ever got a stock with no dents and a good basic finish, I might think about preserving the color by using just mineral spirits or something. ..but once you steam dents, you almost always ruin sections of the original finish to where it makes sense, to me, to refinish the whole thing.

...and glad to have a new friend!

Hedley

Haha, the only thing that stopped me from dishwashing my K31 stock is that it wouldn't fit. I used my steambox for it. I've been ridiculed and flamed for supporting the dishwasher method, but it has always come through for me. Especially for using Cascade. I'm thinking about getting a larger dishwasher, so I don't have to mess with pulling the trays out.

The proof is in the dish water!
img1018tm7.jpg

support_six

Hedley, is that a WWII or Korean era plate holding up your stock there?

Yup, I just think two hours of watching a good movie while the stock takes a little ride in the whirlpool is a whole lot better than anything that deals with solvents, black plastic bags, OVENS!, dashboards, rags, oven cleaner, etc.

Hedley

No, I never wash my WWII era plates...Don't want them to go down in value ya know. But stocks are fair game.:)

Hedley

Cool, those two SKS stocks in the bottom photos look like they were done by Galahad from Survivor's boards..