Cleaning Barrel From The Muzzle

ZeroJunk

How do you guys clean the barrel on your auto, pump, lever or whatever. I have always used bolt guns, but I'm thinking about a Browning auto. I always just push the solvent and patch out the end of the barrel. But, going the other way seems like would leave a mess of solvent and residue in the receiver. Also, how do you protect the bore from the cleaning rod, is there a bore guide to fit the muzzle end? Or, do you just not clean them very often if at all?

jhenry

I use a bore guide on weapons that do not readily allow cleaning from the breech. This keeps the rod from making any contact with the crown. On my 30-30s I use a piece of 5.56 bass with the base cut off. This would work fine for any 30 caliber weapon.

Jeff H

I understand why people get concerned about damage to the crown, but those people must be remembering mil surp weapons with steel cleaning rods. There is no way that the moddern brass, aluminum or plastic rods can do any damage to the crown. The material isn't strong enough.

wingspar

Otis Cleaning Systems. Plastic coated cable can be pulled thru from either end, and bends easily to allow putting a patch on for pulling thru the breach end of semi-autos. All my brass rods collect dust since I bought an Otis System. Watch the video on their site on how to use their product to see for yourself how neat the system works.

nathaniel

Boresnakes or Otis cleaning kits. For me its not damaging the crown its pushing all that stuff in the barrel into the action of your firearm. Thats why I switched to the two cleaning options I have suggested.

Malamute

I've never considered it a problem to clean from the muzzle. I often run a sovent patch thru the bore of guns that are fairly easily cleaned from the back end just for simplicity sake to get them soaking before a "real" cleaning. I just go carefully, guiding the rod with my bent finger if I don't have a bore guide handy. Yes, cleaning from the breech is easier, but not a huge issue to me either way. I havent had any huge gushers of crud end up in the action, even when cleaning my old 1886 Winchester after shooting black powder loads. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong,... I do hold the open side of an action down when cleaning from the front, and wipe out whatever does end up coming out, but it's never been a concern or problem. A couple patches or a piece of a rag in the action before running the rod thru helps catch the solvent that may run out if it's a concern.

Brass and aluminum rods can damage a abore. just because they are softer than a barrel doesnt mean they can't. Soft rods can pick up abrasive grit from the bore, or environment. There's been some discusion of aluminum rods oxidizing also. Aluminum oxide is a very effective abrasive, it's used for lapping and polishing metal. Just saying, all rods should be used with care, not gleeful abandon because they're "soft and safe".

Pahoo

Every firearm has it's own approach but for the most part, what I try to follow, is to insert the bare rod into the muzzle. Then at the breech end, I install my cleaning brush/jag and solvent. I then draw the rod out of the muzzle end. I repeat the process until I feel I am clean. The main point here is to always draw clean in the same direction. That keeps the mud going in same direction and not pushed back, into the bore. Again, most of the time, I use a guide but not always. Of course, some M/L's are the exception. ;)

Be Safe !!!

ZeroJunk

what I try to follow, is to insert the bare rod into the muzzle. Then at the breech end, I install my cleaning brush/jag and solvent. I then draw the rod out of the muzzle end.

Good idea. I never thought of that.