Cleaning after shooting a few rounds?

CC268

I haven't shot my rifle in a while and I am thinking about taking it out to the range to make sure it is still zeroed. I plan on shooting maybe 10 rounds. What sort of maintenance should I do after this? Do I need to go at the bore and clean it really well or just run an oily patch down the bore?

Thanks!

Snyper

I'd just do a patch or two with solvent, one or two dry patches, and then one oily one.

There's not much sense in scrubbing after just a few shots

NoSecondBest

Don't do anything. Just take it out and shoot it. Someone once asked Henry Ball how often he cleaned his gun and he replied, "once a year whether it needs it or not". He wasn't being literal I don't believe. His point was that they don't need to be cleaned unless they have something in them to be cleaned or they got wet or something. Shooting ten shots out of a hunting gun (or even a target gun) in itself doesn't require any cleaning.

Boncrayon

I don't clean my firearms every time I shoot. This is because I use jacketed bullets that prevents lead rounds from fouling the rifling. Of course there are two difference kinds of cleaning...one for basic bore visible action parts and finish...and the second for full take down, cleaning and oiling. Some say the more you take your firearm completely apart, the more wear and tear the parts receive from such repeated action.

I prefer to take open the action, swab the chamber and bore, and spray a solvent/lubricant over all and into crevices, and wipe down the the visible oil I see left behind. I'm a fan of Ballistol for this process because it emulsifies all moisture or weather water to prevent rust.

Big Shrek

The only caveat to the above is HUMIDITY.

If you live in a swampy area like Louisianna or Florida, clean & oil after shooting, always.
What happens inside & outside can be scary...I've seen green mold grow from fingerprints after two weeks.

If you don't have to worry about humidity, once a year :)

Nowadays the rule in my house is to wipe down with an oiled rag after handling.
Saves me grief...

green_MTman

2 answers

1.it would be idealy best to clean after each shooting

2.like most people you likely dont have time,so as long as the gun shoots straight the world wont end if you dont clean it for a while.

upstate81

Im in the few times a year category. Unless im hunting in the rain or some such. On the other hand, rimfires could go YEARS between deep cleans. :eek: Just plain dont need it.

cw308

I clean after shooting. Only way to keep your rifle in the best condition. For that matter why change the oil in your car, just add when needed & see where that gets you. Would you buy a used gun if it wasn't clean, I don't think so.

Last edited:

NoSecondBest

I clean after shooting. Only way to keep your rifle in the best condition. For that matter why change to oil in your car, just add when needed & see where that gets you. Would you buy a used gun if it wasn't clean, I don't think so.

Using that logic, I'd be changing the oil in my car every time I drove it.:eek:

Doyle

No need to clean the bore. If you feel really bad about it, run one dry patch down it and you're done. The chamber and outside can be wiped down with a rag moistened with a little CLP.

oldmanFCSA

I shoot solid brass bore-riders in my target rifle and only clean it after about 200-250 rounds. Copper projectiles require more frequent cleaning. Proper break-in of barrel helps to "smooth" a barrel for less fouling, a quality barrel minimizes the work required to prep a barrel for competition..

Last edited:

jmr40

It takes 6-10 shots through a clean barrel before things settle down and you start getting best accuracy. You don't start losing accuracy until it gets pretty dirty. That varies with rifles, but I usually go at least 100 rounds between cleaning the barrel. And 200 or more may not hurt a thing with most rifles. If accuracy starts to drop off, then it is time to clean.

I shoot a lot in summer months in preparation for hunting season. A few weeks before the season the barrels get a good cleaning. Then back to the range for about a dozen shots to check things. I wouldn't dream of touching the barrel again until after hunting season.

I'll clean the interior of the action and wipe down the exterior, but the bore gets cleaned sparingly. Been using this routine for 40 years with no rust or other issues with the barrel.

tdoyka

i used to clean every gun inside and out. i was corrupted by my dad and the army, a clean weapon is a happy weapon. i did this for 20 some years. i started hearing rumors about this guy and that guy that didn't clean their gun until accuracy started suffering. then they cleaned it.
i heared and i listened. i use cast boolits in the 444 marlin, 30-40 krag, and the 45-70 and jacketed in the 20 vartarg and 22-250 ai. i end up cleaning them about once a year. usually in the spring for the deer calibers and late fall for the varmint calibers.
i hate cleaning guns. but i do so luv to shoot them!!!

Fjblair

Im in the few times a year category. Unless im hunting in the rain or some such. On the other hand, rimfires could go YEARS between deep cleans. Just plain dont need it.

Mostly this. The gun really is getting little benefit by freak cleaning but It makes a lot of shooters something to do and makes them feel better about their rig. Nothing wrong with either approach and both approaches soothe the gun owner's philosophy. Imagine that.

Quoted for the truth. The reality is that guns do not need frequent cleaning but many gun owners over clean because it makes them fell better. Either is fine. Just shoot.

Last edited:

Dr. Strangelove

I haven't shot my rifle in a while and I am thinking about taking it out to the range to make sure it is still zeroed. I plan on shooting maybe 10 rounds. What sort of maintenance should I do after this? Do I need to go at the bore and clean it really well or just run an oily patch down the bore?

This is very much how I used to shoot, and I'd deep clean every time.

Now I'd just run an oily patch down the bore, wipe the rifle down, and be done. I agree with whoever said above that incessant take downs and cleaning just add wear.

Huffmanite

I regularly go to the range to shoot, usually 2 days a week. Often take several rifles and shoot 12-16 rounds with each one.

When I return home, usually run a couple of wet patches with bore cleaner, let soak for 10-15 minutes and then dry patch with final patch having oil on it. Sometimes use a nylon brush in the bore and every once in awhile I'll use a bronze brush, but am never aggressive with the bronze brush.

Do I think this is absolutely necessary.....nope! Just like to do it and be able to spot any copper fouling building up in a bore.

skizzums

I love bore-snakes. bring it to the range, give it a couple "ropes" down the barrel before I leave. good to go. I do like to keep trigger assemblies clean and well oiled. none is probably necessary, but if I don't clean a gun after shooting it a good bit, it just "bugs" me all day

Picher

You may not need to clean it, but run a patch through with protectant like Break-Free CLP. Then, run a dry patch through it before taking it to the range.

I ruined a varmint rifle barrel because it sat in a closet for a few months without cleaning. That's why I have so many stainless barrels these days, but I still clean them...gently, with a bore guide, and always from the breech.

Brotherbadger

I clean after shooting. Only way to keep your rifle in the best condition. For that matter why change the oil in your car, just add when needed & see where that gets you.

That analogy uses false equivalence. By your logic, you must change your oil, transmission fluid, radiator fluid, ect. every time you drive. After all, that would keep your car in the best condition. Now, in reality, you don't do that. You do it when it needs to get done. A rifle doesn't need to be cleaned every time it's shot. Groups might start to open up after 500-700 rounds, but unless you live in a very humid area there's no need for that high level of maintenance.