Cleaning advice for stainless S&W 637

jfrey123

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice to cleaning the front of the cylinders as well as the angle right above the entrance to the barrel. I've been trying a nylon brush with some hopps on it, but it doesn't remove what appears to be a set in "stain" in the metal.

Any thoughts?

Scattergun Bob

This has always been a pain in the rear!!!!! the best i have found is a lead removal cloth. It basically wipes away the discoloration and removes the carbon with a little elbo grease. A good India red eraser just like old folks like me used in school works well also.

Good Luck & Be Safe

stevieboy

Here's what I do. I smear a tiny amount of J & B Bore cleaner on the stained surface (face of cylinder, underside of topstrap, and around the forcing cone). Then, I brush vigorously with a bronze brush that's been first sprayed with a good solvent (I use Birchfield Casey Gun Scrubber). Then, I wipe the surfaces with a soft paper towel or a clean patch. I redo as necessary. I've found that I can make the surfaces of a stainless gun pristine in 10 minutes or less using this approach. However, DON'T follow this regime with a blued gun. What works for stainless will remove the blueing. With a blued gun I'm content to wipe vigorously with a lead removal cloth and I live with the residue that doesn't come off.

jaydubya

I recommend you live with it. Even if you get it all off, it will be right back on those spots the next time you shoot. I clean my handguns each time I shoot them, but I have also learned to live with S&W design features. Such as one you didn't mention: the ring around the cylinder that appears after you fire the revolver a hundred times, and then stops growing. That is caused by the cylinder stop dragging on the face of the cylinder. S&W planned it that way to make sure the cylinder stop did its job.

I have a 637 which I have fired around 2,000 times with no problems. In fact, I fired 50 rounds of 148gr DEWC from it today. I'm so mellow, I'm thinking of letting it sit, all gunked up, until tomorrow. After I finish playing golf.
Cordially, Jack