Cleanest ammo

I bought some cheap 38 sp. AMMO that smoked a lot & was a real pain in the gluteus Maximus to clean. I’m using Hornady 357 mag AMMO
This is for my new King Cobra 3” 357:38 sp

TruthTellers

I'll assume the cheap .38 was a lead bullet and that smoke is from the lube being burned, not the powder. Try any jacketed bullet or the Federal Syntech ammo, which is a polymer coated bullet. Neither use lube, less smoke, less mess, especially with the polymer bullet.

Hal

I'll assume the cheap .38 was a lead bullet and that smoke is from the lube being burned, not the powder.
I'll 2nd that. "Cheap" usually entails "remanufactured" - aka - commercial reloads.
Those are made to a price point - which usually means - lead bullets, horrible clay-type lube & a small quantity of the cheapest powder that will suffice to deliver enough oomph to let the bullet clear the barrel.

The best solution I know of is - take up reloading and make your own clean burning "cheap .38 spl.".

jaguarxk120

As the old ad said years ago " You can trust the man with the star".
I'm talking about the lube star on the guns muzzle. To me cleaning out copper is more of a pain than cleaning lead/lube. For me Alox works fine all the way up to +P 44 magnums.
Yes I have to clean, but that is part of shooting.

gwpercle

The cleanest ammo ?
In over 50 years of reading gun magazines I don't think I've ever seen a test on which ammo is the cleanest shooting .
That might be an interesting topic for an ammo test !

Personally I'm more interested in accuracy and always pay attention to how accurate ammo is .
Gary

Hal

In over 50 years of reading gun magazines I don't think I've ever seen a test on which ammo is the cleanest shooting .
For real?
I've read all sorts of comments over the years about how clean this or that burned.

I will admit though, it's got to be a good 30 years since I last read a gun rag.

Anyhow - in the reloading forum - clean burning is frequently spoken of when talking about different powders.

I can tell you that - Alliant Unique sure isn't clean. ;).

stinkeypete

I like 2400 in .357 Magnum but
Win 231 is clean but I think too fast for a hunting load but might do well in a snub barrel
and Vihtavuori N110 looks to be a good full house powder and is said to be clean. I have not used that brand... others can comment.

As for factory ammo... I never shoot that stuff.

T. O'Heir

"...lube being burned, not the powder..." It's actually both. There can be some lead in the mix with a cast bullet too.
Is the question, "What factory .357 ammo burns the cleanest"?
The assorted manufacturers do not publish what powder they use anyway(they load for a specific velocity and SAAMI pressure according to the bullet weight and type.), but what bullet was in the .38's matters.
All of Hornady's .357 is jacketed, so lube smoke doesn't apply.
"...was a real pain in the gluteus Maximus to clean..." You're doing something wrong. Leave the solvent on for a half hour or so to let it work.