Clean Garand after 24 rounds or not?

Dave3006

I took my Garand with a couple other rifles to the range. I only fired 3 clips to test the new LC66 ammo from CMP. I normally meticulously clean all my rifles after a trip to the range. Of course, I don't ever take the gas cylinder off.

However, after so few rounds, would you break down the entire rifle and clean it completely or just run some patches down the bore? I will probably shoot this gun again in 1-2 months.

Dave

Redlg155

Provided that you did not shoot surplus corrosive ammo I would not worry about it. You bought a battle rifle and not a baby!:D

Just a few patches down the bore will be fine.

Good Shooting
RED

stinger

Can't see how it would hurt. But to be on the safe side, just run a few patches down the barrel, like the other poster said.

Stinger

hps1

As Redlg & stinger said, clean the bore.

Additionally, I would stand the rifle muzzle down and put 2-3 drops of Breakfree on the op-rod where it enters the gas cyl. Allow BF to gravitate down into gas cyl, then operate the bolt a few times, letting it slam shut to assure even distribution of BF. Also, I like to put very thin coat of Breakfree in chamber which removes any carbon and prevents rust forming in chamber.

I do live in a humid, coastal area which is conducive to rust, but these added precautions can prevent some serious problems down the line.

I always store my rifles muzzle down to keep any oil from action penetrating the wood.

Enjoy your M1....it's a great rifle!

Regards,
hps

BluRidgDav

I don't usually completely break down my M1 for cleaning unless I fire 100+ rounds (or once per year). After only a few rounds, I will clean the bore, of course, but I also unscrew the gas cylinder plug, lock the bolt back (to draw the op rod aft), and scrub out the inside of the gas cylinder, while it's still on the rifle, with a GI toothbrush or a .45 caliber pistol rod & brush.

Khornet

I'd clean the bore

but clean it well, with a good fouling solvent followed by a jacket metal remover. That stuff builds up and it's easier to get out when there haven't been another 50 or so rounds fired over it. There won't be any more of these made, so you might as well give it loving care. But it's true that it's a battle rifle, not a baby.

hps1

Khornet:
with a good fouling solvent followed by a jacket metal remover. That stuff builds up and it's easier to get out when there haven't been another 50 or so rounds fired over it.

Good point! Have seen lots of M1's BADLY copper fouled. If using an aggressive copper solvent (and that is about all that will effectively remove copper), be sure to apply with the rifle "belly up" so that the solvent does not get into gas cylinder.

Regards,
hps