clean .44 factory cartridge for practice?

MountainMan

cartridges like winchester "winclean" and speer "lawman" are formulated with clean-burning powders and a fully-jacketed bullet (even the base is jacketed, to eliminate any fouling caused by vaporized lead). they're available in popular centerfire calibres, but not .44 mag, as far as i can tell. can anyone recommend an especially clean .44 mag factory cartridge? thanks.

Ledbetter

It's not totally jacketed, but . . .

I have had good results with Georgia-Arms.com ammo. I have also used Speer lawman .44 specials.

Regards.

Ledbetter

MountainMan

thanks for the reply. are the .44 special lawman cartridges clean enough not to cause ejection problems with magnum brass? are there any specific .44 mag cartridges in the georgia arms line that you would recommend?

Ledbetter

I looked

through my ammo but the only Speer Lawman I have is 38+P and 357 Mag. They both say TMC, which I presume means Total Metal Jacket, and so that may be just what you're looking for.

Georgia Arms has 4 flavors of .44 mag. I prefer the 240 grain JHP at 1325 fps muzzle velocity. Why don't you get the 300 grain JSP at 1250 fps and tell us what it's like:D

To clean chambers and cylinder face easily, use Lead-away cloths. Wrap a small patch of it around a brass cleaning brush and push it throuh each cylinder a few times. It keeps working even when it looks really dirty.

Regards.

RWK

http://www.ammoman.com -- which has a stellar reputation with many TFL members -- has Federal 240 grain .44 magnum JHPs for $350 per thousand . . . and that's the "full up" price, with no addition for credit card use, shipping, etc.