Clean .223 powder

3gunfreak

I am looking for opinions(find a lot of those here) on some clean .223 powder. I am primarily a pistol reloader and I am slowly getting into .223 production. I know that I will be looking into my manuals for load data but if anyone likes a powder I would love to here about it. For example, I know some powders burn cleaner and better than others. If you have ever shot a mag full, stopped and said to yourself " I like that powder!" Let me hear it!

Thanks
( 55 gr .....1x9 twist barrel)

Sevens

You've got me a bit confused when you say that you are primarily a pistol loader but getting in to .223... what's the platform, AR?

I ask because I'm primarily a handgun shooter myself but I shoot .223 from a 14-inch bull-barrel Contender. And here's what I know-- I can expect phenomenal accuracy out of this handgun using H335 and H4198. I wouldn't say either would be termed outrageously clean, but I don't recall either of them being any kind of dirty... or dirty so that I would notice.

With H335, it meters better but uses a heavier charge and operates at a higher pressure. With H4198, it doesn't meter nearly as well but gives me the same performance with a lighter charge and at less pressure.

I don't know how dirty either are in a semi-auto platform, but both kick butt for me in a Contender.

Oberg

Use Ramshot powders like TAC or X-Terminator they are extremely easy to measure out and they are alot cleaner then Varget or IMR 4064. You can really tell after you shoot 50 rounds or so and wipe off the bolt carrier (I have an AR) Benchmark was also cleaner but not as clean as the Ramshot

farnorthdan

+1 on the Ramshot

I use either the Xterminator or the TAC and have very good results with this brand. Its clean and meters great not to mention the least expensive stuff around my neck of the woods...

DS

Hylander

I absolutely Love Varget :cool:
H-335 is also excellent :)
I have used both Powders for 40, 50 and 55gr. bullets
BLC-2 is also great.
1:9 -1:12 twist, 14" Pistol to 26" Rifle, doesn't matter.

40V-Max255Varget.jpg

scsov509

55 gr .....1x9 twist barrel

For the small-mid size 223 bullets, I prefer H335 or TAC. I'm finding that most of my loading manuals recommend magnum primers with H335, and I've found it actually burns a bit cleaner for me if I do use magnums or CCI #41's. But if you're buying retail (as opposed to bulk) then TAC is pretty hard to beat. It's clean, meters exceptionally, performs well in 223, and is typically much cheaper than almost anything else.

thallub

For over 40 years I have been using IMR 3031 for my .45 and 55 grain reloads and it works well for me.