Clays and 45ACP recipe?

chris in va

Found two pounds of Clays today...don't hate me.:p

I've never used the stuff. Any favorite medium loads with a 200gr SWC? I like 4.5 Bullseye but running out.

BigJimP

I have to hate you a little ( I haven't found any clays in at least 3 yrs. ....)

Couldn't resist ...;)

I don't have a recipe for you - I only shoot 230gr FMJ in .45acp.....but clays is such a fast burning powder that it gives you "bunny fart" loads in 9mm....kind of fun to shoot - but i'm hoarding the last 4 lbs of clays i have for my 12ga reloads..../

i'm a little jealous of your good luck ---- even though I picked up 20,000 Win small pistol primers this am at gun show for $30/1,000. .....and 10,000 LP for same price..../ thought I was pretty lucky ???? - obviously not....

RickB

I've been using 4.1 - 4.3 of Clays with 200gr bullets for years.
For mid-range .45 loads it's my favorite powder.

jaysouth

3.7 grs. of Clays under a 200 gr. H&G 68 Clone functions well in all my 1911s with 16 pound springs(standard strength)

Clays has a spiky pressure curve. Start easy and work up. With proper crimp, it is a very clean powder.

Nick_C_S

Never used Clays.

Don't plan on it.

But I know it's the perfect burn rate for the 200 LSWC application.

I have no doubt you scored. Enjoy.

Rifletom

Been loading Clays for about 4 years. Love that powder. 4.0gr is about correct with those 200gr swc. I've been running 3.8 in my SA 1911 with 230gr LRN.
Soft shooting, clean and SUPER accurate. You scored on your find. I've been sitting on my 4 lb'er for a while. Glad I got it when I did. It's been damn near impossible to find lately. Clays is a very good powder for the .38spl also.

David R

Since we have a bunch of clays users, I opened my can and it was FULL to the top like the powder had absorbed moisture or something. Does the plastic container come FULL ?

RickB

Is this "old Clays" from Australia, or "new Clays" from Canada?
I did some comparison loading last weekend, and there may be a slight difference in volume, but not enough to fill a 1# jug an additional 2"; is it a 1# jug?
I seem to remember the Aussie powder being packaged in 15oz jugs?

mikld

This is a FWIW, sorta related post; I do not give out load data on line, 'cause I never use any data I find on any forum or from any range rat, gun counter clerk, pet loads website, or gun shop guru. I have seen a really dangerous load given on a forum (an OOPS!, "I hit the wrong key", that was one full grain over max. with a fast burning powder) and even though most are being helpful, what do you know about/trust an anonymous screen name? If I needed some data about a specific powder in a speific cartridge, a forum is the last place I'd look, preferring a published manual for any data. Paranoid? Nope, just cautious... :p

jes an old guys opinion, and I got all my fingers and no damaged guns...

FITASC

I'll take the data with a grain of salt and use it as a starting point for my OWN research, Some folks get confused by some brand names/numbers.

OverPressure

Clay & 45ACP

I was able to get 3 14oz containers of Clays Last Month. Haven't
seen any around for almost 3 years. I just cracked the lid on the
first container. I hope it is the same power.

4.2 gr. 200 gr. SWC. My Favorite Target Load!