Clay Thrower

macville

So I am looking at buying a new clay thrower as the cheep one I have right now (Do-All Clay Hawk Thrower - Full Cock) is exhausting to cock and hard to get to trigger. I got to use an old Outers thrower (looks like the Trius Original Trap or Champion High Fly) last year that was really easy to cock, trigger easily, and threw the clays well. So I am looking for a thrower that is fairly easy to cock, triggers easily/smoothly, and a foot pedal would be nice also. Won't use it that much, but when I do, will throw 200+ clays at a time.

The options that I am considering are with what I see as pros/cons:

Do All Backyard Clayhawk 3/4
Pros: $95, is a 3/4 cock (seems fairly easy)
Cons: No foot trigger, no roller barring like the Pro Clayhawk & doesn't throw as far.

Do All Pro Clayhawk 3/4
Pros: Better build quality than the Backyard hawk. 10 year warranty
Cons $150, no foot trigger.
Is it really worth $50 more for a better build quality if I am only going to be using it a few times a year?

Trius One Step:
Pros: $100, Super easy to cock, Foot pedal.
Cons: Bigger foot movement to trigger than SkyBird. Not sure of Build quality vs The Clayhawks or SkyBird. No Left/Right adjust like all the others.

Champion SkyBird 3/4
Pro: $105, Foot Pedal, 3/4 cock
Cons: Harder to cock than Trius One Step.
The one issue I have with this one is I can't find any videos online that show someone cocking it. I've seen the Backyard/Pro Clayhawk's being cocked as 3/4 cock throwers, but is this one as easy as those? I know the Trius One Step is much easier because you aren't cocking it by hand really, it's all with your foot.

If any of you own one of these, or have use one and and comment more about ease of cocking, build quality, etc I would really appreciate it!

FITASC

If you have a source of power, a used old skeet/trap single stack made by Winchester might be reasonable in cost and no manual effort on your part. Local clubs upgrade to newer machines every now and again and those machines will last forever with very few parts needing replacement - just another option.

jaguarxk120

Save your money and get one of the electric traps. They cost more but you will have 100's of times the enjoyment.

By stepping on a switch the bird will fly and the trap will hold over 25 birds.
Maybe a little more to set up, but the fun factor is well worth it.

B.L.E.

I guess step traps are okay if you want to do nothing but practice the skeet low house 7 shot.
I would want something that can be triggered remotely at a minimum so I can have the trap 16 to 20 yards ahead of my shooting position to practice actual trap shooting or various sporting clays shots, bird coming towards you etc.

Cary

I have two of the Trius models. I have had the One step for at least five years and with only some minor adjustments and maintenance it has operated without a problem. I do take take it apart once a year to check and lube the bushing the arm pivots on. I have replaced it maybe once because of wear. You are limited at what you can do with it because of the design. It is simple to use. Just put it on the ground, step on the front stakes to anchor it, and put a clay on it. With some practice you get use to stepping on it and shooting the clay. Not perfect but can fit a persons budget.
I also have the Trius Bird Shooter II. I've had this one for at least four years and it has performed as well as the one step. I do the maintenance on both of them at the same time. I got this one so I could stand on the side away from the unit a launch some crossing targets. This one takes more effort as you have to cock it by hand. It takes some effort but fine for a man. I use a small rope on the trigger mechanism ran through an eye so it pulls the trigger straight down. The other end of the rope I have on a clip that I secure to my pants pocket. I just move my hip to pull the rope and trigger the trap. This unit needs to be anchored down or it will move all over the place. I mounted it to a piece of 3/4" plywood and bolt that onto the spare time from my pickup. This works for me but maybe not for someone else. I bought both units new and probably have ~$135.00 in them together.
They are simple designed units and the quality is good enough for what they are. Simple units for just some hay field fun.

Cary