Clay birds with a handgun

Rembrandt

OK, made you look.....no, not clay birds on the fly. Made a stand to hold them still long enough to shoot at.

3/4 thick steel with slots milled through. Square tubing welded to the bottom that slides over a couple steel fence posts. When done shooting slide it off for storage and leave the posts in the ground for another day. Works with standard size birds, midi and mini sporting clay targets.

016_zps3qtpcgga.jpg

018_zpsaeqdilk6.jpg

019_zpsmll0gxne.jpg

Hunter Customs

Neat ideal.;)

I noticed the front of the rack has taken a few hits.

When using a large caliber handgun if you hit the front of the rack does the vibration break the clays?

Hal

Cool!

Stick a spent .45acp shell on top of the clay birds and see if you can knock it off w/out hitting the bird.

g.willikers

^^^
Now, that would be a challenge, for sure.
For the less hands on of us, clay birds can be held on cardboard with big headed roofing nails.
Just hand them loose from their inner rim.

TimSr

We did something similar with and "L" shaped shelf. After shooting airborne pigeons with shotguns, we get out the pistols and shoot the large, almost inatct pigeons. We also setup those square white crackers in it. Its more fun to shoot things that shatter with pistols (biodegradeable of course). .22 often just make little holes in pigeons, but make crackers explode. The shattered cracker "mess" disappears a lot faster than pigeons.

FITASC

When using a large caliber handgun if you hit the front of the rack does the vibration break the clays?

What I was wondering as well and knowing MY shooting, that front piece would get hit more than the targets if I have to use a handgun.......:eek:

Rembrandt

Hunter Customs said:

No, haven't noticed that being a problem with guns in the 9mm range.....yet to try some magnum calibers.

FrankenMauser

OK, made you look.....no, not clay birds on the fly.
It's much more fun that way.

Any time my family plans to break some clays, I make sure to bring my .44 Mag and hand-loaded shot shells (in modified .30-40 Krag cases). And, if I don't have them torn apart for modifications or upgrades, the .444 Marlins come along as well (with .410-equivalent loads in .444 Marlin brass).

Shooting clays with a handgun, lever action rifle, and scoped rifle can be quite fun. :D

g.willikers

^^^^
Now, that's neat and using your noodle.
Perfect for .22 and airguns, too.
Our ranges would require removing the wax paper wrapping, though.
Everything left behind has to be biodegradable.