"Claw" accessory for AIWB carry

jmhyer

I have been carrying AIWB for several years. Up until now, my carry gun has always been of the sub-compact, single stack variety (i.e.- M&P Shield). I am considering a change to more of "compact" carry gun (i.e.- M&P 2.0 Compact), but am concerned about the length of the grip with regard to printing.

In looking at holsters, I am seeing some Kydex AIWB holsters with the "claw" attachment that is reportedly designed to keep the grip of the firearm closer to the skin to reduce printing. For those with experience, are these attachments helpful?

gaseousclay

I have a Vedder IWB light tuck holster with the claw. It’s useful for appendix carry, as I’m assuming that’s what it was developed for. I found that the claw does help, but what you’re wearing is also just as helpful imo. There’s tons of YouTube vids out there that can probably do a better job explaining the claw

DubC-Hicks

All of my IWB holsters now have a claw. I've found them to make quite a difference, making my G17 conceal about like a G19 without a claw, as far as printing under a t-shirt.

Pistoler0

The claw helps for appendix carry.

Even more so in combination with a wedge, you can fashion one for your holster yourself from Dr Scholls shoe inserts, look up some youtube instructions, it is super easy.

I successfuly conceal AIWB a full size Glock 21

Pistoler0

In my experience the claw in my particular holster (from Hydden Hybrid Holsters)
https://hiddenhybridholsters.com/collections/appendix-holsters/products/glock-glock-20-21-20sf-21sf-single-clip-strong-side-appendix-iwb

does not interfere at all with getting a decent grip. It is far below the pistol grip, pressing against my belt.

Claws do help, and as I said in a previous post it also helps for concealment to fashion some kind of wedge to push the muzzle of the gun out (and the gun grip in). Besides helping with AIWB concealment, pushing the muzzle of the gun out also "enhances" the appearance of your endowment, if you know what I mean :) . Win-win. Although I know that most of us don't have a need for that.

Last edited:

Equin

In my experience the claw in my particular holster (from Hydden Hybrid Holsters)
https://www.startpage.com/do/dsearch?query=hidden+hybrid+holsters&cat=web&pl=ext-ff&language=english&extVersion=1.3.0

does not interfere at all with getting a decent grip. It is far below the pistol grip, pressing against my belt.

Claws do help, and as I said in a previous post it also helps for concealment to fashion some kind of wedge to push the muzzle of the gun out (and the gun grip in). Besides helping with AIWB concealment, pushing the muzzle of the gun out also "enhances" the appearance of your endowment, if you know what I mean :) . Win-win. Although I know that most of us don't have a need for that.
Thanks for the great info and the explanation on the use of the wedge! Definitely something I want to look into more. That Hybrid Holster looks nice. I like how the claw is minimal in size but functional. I also like how the belt clip is off centered by the trigger, instead of on top of the slide like some others. Do you find it interferes in any way with the trigger finger when drawing?

tomrkba

Claw, wedge, very flat metal clips from Discreet Carry Concepts that attach near the muzzle (they are a great improvement), and enough holes and slots for adjustment are a beautiful thing.

Tenicor holsters are amazing. Their hole pattern and these features make them excellent for carry.

gnystrom

P365, Vedder w/claw, AIWB=perfect.
20180819_101104.jpg